evinrude hydroelectric

been reviewing threads and mught be duplicating answers but do need some help bought a used motor was supposed to be a 1978 55 hp pretty sure its not from the fact there is only one number difference i am quessing its a 1968 55 hp with hydroelectric shift
question where to get special oil required and wiring diagrams or manuals on the shifting any help would be appriicated or update

thanks

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: evinrude hydroelectric

They use type C or premium oil. I use to get it at Wallmart. I think it was made by Lubriplate. Post the model number and we can verify the year for you.

thanks for the responce
the model # is 55875s which is for a 1978 55 hp
but the type of shift does not match also the wiring plug is yellow
which also does not match evinrude could not help and i dont know the history so i am unsure what i have but motor does not show any sings of being juryrigged

did not see this at wal-mart but unsure what section to look also any detectives out there that could help pinpoing the year would be appreicated
tried giving the frezze plug number to evinrude but came up 15 hp

even more confused apparently the 1968 was a 3 cyl mine is a 2 cyl

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well co course I guess you know a '68 55hp would be a 55873. So you are sure it is hydroelectric, huh? 3 cylinder? Push button control? No mechanical gearshift? Distributor under the flywheel and Motorola amplifier?

The only "real" Premium Blend comes from Evinrude /Johnson dealers. There are others selling oil that claim to be Premium Blend. I've heard that some of it is actually automatic transmission fluid.

well heres all i know so for yes its a push button shift have original control
its must be hydro-elect accoring to the hookup guy replaced buttons with switch but diagram would indicate hydro wiring no power f 1 wire nuteral 2 wires reverse
am 100% sure of the model number 55875s and its a 2 cyl and has a yellow wiring plug
am 90% sure no one has made modifications to unit
not sure what else to look for have not pulled the flywheel
all wiring looks original

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds more like a 1972 with the numbers changed.

thanks
but that does not seem to be the answer
no electric shift in 72 and no 55
i guess someone could have changed the lower unit the controls and the wiring on a 78 but seem like a lot of work also could have change model numbers but still does not help in finding what year i have so i can get manuals are or the multi year manuals any good?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You will probably need a couple different manuals for the seperate entities.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

1968 3 cylinder 55hp models 55872, 55873
1969 3 cylinder 55hp models 55972, 55973
1970 - 71 60hp no 55
1972 65hp

for info 1972 was the last year for the hydro-electric shift. In 1975 the hydro-mechanical shift gearcase on the 2 and 3 cylinder loopers was replaced with a straight mechanical shift unit. These cases use Hi-vis for oil.

in 1976 the 2 cyinder 50hp evolved into a 55hp, in 1980 it too evolved into a 60hp.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sounds more like a 1972 with the numbers changed.

1972 was the last year with Hydro-Electric shift. The yellow plug is consistent with a '72 also. That is why I asked if your motor was a three cylinder or a twin (?). So, what is it?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

1972 was the last year with Hydro-Electric shift. The yellow plug is consistent with a '72 also. That is why I asked if your motor was a three cylinder or a twin (?). So, what is it?

In his second post jack says it's a twin

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, that again says it is not a '68 55hp because they were 3 cyls. Somebody is playing games with the model numbers. And they are pretty good at it.

i agree with the model number game just trying to get a complete wiring diagram for this motor got bits and pieces by the way great forum lots of smart guys out there

I purchased what was supposed to be a 1978 motor
Model 55875s ser e30004803
The cover states 55 and model number say 1978 55hp
The problem is it is not this
This is what I have to aide in finding out what I have
The motor is a 2 cyl with hydroelectric shift and controls
Freeze plug # e3647443
Has electric choke and a org/yel electrical connector
The cover has a fuel adjustment on it but does not go to anything inside
Mine has 2 adjustment one at each carb
There is no indication of major component changes
the terminal strip has the folowing wires
yel
yel/gry
red
purp
purp/yel
purp/white
purp/green
vacant

and then there are two wires going down to shifter

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That matches the wires for a 1971-72 50hp. Tell ya what, go to aomci.org and ask for a diagram for those years' 50hp on their Ask-A-Member forum. I believe a feller there by the name of Garry in Tampa can post it for you. Or just buy a factory service manual.

iwombat

Captain

Sorta sounds like someone stuffed a '72 into a later model housing. I think getting a line on the serial on the welch plug is your answer.

evinrude could not come up with something on frezze plug number
but sound like you all have narrowed it down have a couple of manuals but dont show the hydroelec system for 71-71

still having trouble getting the proper manual maybe someone can help with wire collors
have three wires going to the controller that i am unsure of got an idea but would like addditional info they are

purp/green
white with blue mark

purp pretty sure what this is
also the blk/yel to cdi module does this ground it and shut down the motor?

got the rest of the wires fiqured out

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are two sources of 12v to the shift switch, purple from the ignition switch, and purple/green from the diodes pair connected to the alternator. The purple/green is to keep it from instantly slamming into gear when the key is turned off by supplying a voltage as long as the alternator is still spinning. By the same token, purple supplies a voltage to shift it to neutral while starting, before the alternator spins fast enough to put out a voltage. That keeps the boat from lurching ahead when you start the motor.

Black/yellow grounds out the power pack to stop then engine.

I don't know about the white/blue.

Last edited:

thanks for your input sure know your stuff
any ideas where i can get a wiring diagram showing all this purchased 2 manuals so for no help??

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Sorta sounds like someone stuffed a '72 into a later model housing. I think getting a line on the serial on the welch plug is your answer.

Well the cover from a 2 cylinder 55 would fit on a 71 - 72 50hp. 72 was the last year of the external idle mix adjustment as well as the last year of the hydro-electric shift.