Evinrude early 2000s 8 Hp 4 stroke question

Hunter Dan

Recruit
I've owned several Evinrude motors over the past 30 years or so. I had a 2013 6 Hp 4 stroke for the past three years and sold it this winter because I wanted something with a bit more get up and go. After searching eBay, Craigslist and local dealers for an 8 or 9.9 I finally settled on a used 8 Hp 4 stroke. It's either a 2002 or 2006. Have to go back and look at the tag to make sure. Bought it from a dealer, tried it in his tank, seemed to start right up and run, shift and idle well.

Put it on my boat on my local pond yesterday - using the same gas tank and hose I'd used with my 2013 6 Hp. Tank had been cleaned out last fall and I had fresh gas in it. As soon as I tried to plug the hose into the motor - gasoline started squirting out all over the place. It appeared that the gas was coming out of the motor. I also couldn't plug the hose into the motor. Not sure if this was because it's the wrong plug size or if it simply wouldn't lock on due to the pressure from the gas coming out of the motor. Since the motor appeared to have plenty of gas in it from it being run in the dealer's tank, I tried starting it without it hooked up to the gas tank. It started right up, but I couldn't get it to run that long before it would quit.

Tried several more times over the course of a half hour to both start it again without the gas tank plugged in and to start it with the gas tank plugged in. Every time I tried to hitch the hose to the motor - gas would spill out everywhere and I couldn't connect the hose. Finally gave up - assuming the motor was flooded. My local dealer is closed today (Sunday) but I'm bringing the motor and my tank and hose to them tomorrow afternoon after work. In the meantime - does anybody have any information that may help me trouble-shoot what is wrong with my motor?

I thought that all Evinrude small Hp ourboards took the same size plug for the gas line? I definitely didn't expect that two 4 stroke Evinrude small Hp outboards manufactured within 10-15 years of each other would need different size plugs!

One additional piece of information - When I bought the motor, I had to drive it about 90 mins back home - and was unable to transport it in an upright position. Could the fact that it was on its side for 90 mins with gas in it have something to do with the fact that it seemed to have gas leaking out everywhere? I know that 4 strokes should be kept upright whenever possible due to the fact that their oil is in them rather than in the gasoline. But I've transported my 2013 6 Hp Evinrude on its side before and never experienced anything like I did with my new(used) 8 Hp.

Hoping that this is an easy fix and not that I was sold a lemon. Can't imagine it's the latter because as I said - I've owned several Evinrude 2 and 4 strokes and have loved everyone of them. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Start with the model # here.-------There are no 2002 or 2006 Evinrude 8 hp motors.

Hunter Dan

Recruit
So it's a 2001. My 6 Hp motor was a 2013 but since I sold it along with all the paperwork I can't tell you what the model number was. I guess my first question is does the one I have now (pictured above) take a different fuel plug on the gas line than my 2013 6 Hp 4 stroke?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Yes the fuel connectors are different..You can check the part numbers in the parts lists for yourself

I had this problem years ago when I bought a connector that looked right but was really for a Yamaha or something

I'd guess your 2013 motor was rebadged far eastern model while your 2001 is a genuine American made Evinrude

Your owners manual should tell you about transporting it.

Usually you can lay them down on one side or the other but you should drain the engine lube oil before transporting.

Take the plugs out and expell any oil that may be in the cylinders.

You may have to clear any oil thats found its way into the carb.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need to hope that it's not a USA made 4 stroke, they weren't very good motors and they had many odd issues, plus few parts are available. The next version was a rebadged Suzuki, they were good motors, but actual OMC parts for them may be tough to find.

Hunter Dan

Recruit
You need to hope that it's not a USA made 4 stroke, they weren't very good motors and they had many odd issues, plus few parts are available. The next version was a rebadged Suzuki, they were good motors, but actual OMC parts for them may be tough to find.

I was under the impression that this one WAS a rebadged Suzuki? I know my 2013 6 Hp 4 Stroke was a rebadged Tohatsu, and that before that they had Suzuki make them. I'd hate to think I got sold a lemon by a dealer. What are some of the "odd issues" that these motors are prone to????

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
OMC made the first version starting in the mid to late 90s, I don't know what the last year of it was, it was a poor design and replaced by the Suzuki