Evinrude 90 hp outboard winterization

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice
I can't find anything but advertisements. HELP! I'm just trying to find the procedures to winterize a 90 hp Evinrude outboard. I imagine it requires fogging but how do I do that and with what? Anything need to be done to the lower unit? Anything else? I also can't find a breakdown of the remote control. There is one little plastic piece that needs to be replaced. Not the entire remote control box. Anyone able to point me towards where to get this info or the part?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 90 hp outboard winterization

Go back to the first page and look at the "Top Secret File".

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The top of the post list ...

Threads in Forum : Johnson & Evinrude Outboards

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Go to the top of this page and click on Johnson and evinrude outboards, that will take you to the first page of the forum. Above the posts there are some posts called "sticky's", click on the 'Top Secret Files" and go to the bottom of the page and look at winterizing, 2 pages, one for boats and one for outboards.

billsnogo

Seaman

I did not see where it says anything about fogging the motor. So do you not pull the plugs and to a squirt in it? :confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I use aerisol cans of fogging oil and go through the carbs. A lot of people do pull the plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders, I guess it's what ever you feel good about.
Extra oil never hurts anything, except starting up in the spring.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you purchase a can of Bombardier fogging oil, it should have directions on fogging. I prefer to inject it into the carbs when idling so that it protects the intake side (crank and bearings) of the engine as well as the combustion side. You will need to remove the plastic airbox cover.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Outboards are easy to winterize. Put fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the motor on the flusher device to work it into the carbs. Now fog the carbs with fogging oil via their throats. I used two spray cans, to spray two of the six carbs (Johnny V6) at once. It is a bit easier to get 'em all. Try to stall the motor with the fogging oil. Replace airbox, turn off ignition, and let water drain with motor in vertical position. Drain gear oil and replace it, using new gaskets on drain and vent plugs. Hit grease fittings, and grease steering rod. Now some corrosion inhibiter on block, replace the hood, and you are done.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone. I'm actually doing this for a friend. My boat seems to be in a constant state of winterization.