Evinrude 9.9 water pump Q

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have just started the process of replacing upper mounts under the power head.
How much up and down play is there to e on the drive shaft going thru the water pump to the gear case??
I could not see anything in the Lee Roys ramblings pages.

kbait

Commander
Re: Evinrude 9.9 water pump Q

The drive pin for the impeller is a bit shorter than the impeller height. It should move exactly that distance.. maybe 1/8".

Good luck!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You don't mention the year of your 9.9. The upper mounts were changed in 1993. The older versions were hard to replace without breaking bolts.

I just measured one of my lower units that still had the shaft & water pump intact, 3/16" vertical movement.

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thamks for your replies, My motor is a 1974 and the job went smooth.This motor has only seen fresh water, the upper mount bolts are noted to break I was expecting the worst. they came out clean as a whistle.Thanks to LeeRoy Ramblings it was the most valuable things I used.

I has discovered that once the pump is off I can pull the shaft out and drop back into place.I hope that is not an issue.

All I have left to do is put the air box and the starter back in.After I polish the groove the start rope has worn and install the water pump.

Hopefully test out at lake.