evinrude 9.5 carb problem

highcountry

Seaman
I'm lost guys, I have a 1965 9.5 that i have been fighting the carburetor on. When you pump the ball, it floods out the main jet and the small hole on the side. I put a full kit in it including float and it does the same thing? The float level is right, if I turn it upside down, you can't blow past the needle, the float is straight and not hitting anything, start it and it floods out the jet! Any ideas?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 9.5 carb problem

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

highcountry

Seaman

I'll try it, just can't figure out why it blows out the jet before the bowl is even full.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Normally caused by a clogged float bowl vent to the outside. This would be molded into the upper body.

highcountry

Seaman

Is that the small hole to the rear of the throat, gas comes out it at the same time. I even pulled the side plugs and cleaned the idle holes and jet area then installed new plugs.

kbait

Commander

If you have the bowl off, somewhere in the upper carb float chamber is a hole that will vent the bowl to atmosphere at the front or side of the upper carb outer body. I don't remember where it is on those carbs - but if it's clogged, fuel will find it's way through the high speed jet and out the carb throat, as the float will never rise to close it's valve. Good luck!

highcountry

Seaman

You might have just saved my sanity and a boat motor, that is what I was looking for and it makes sense. I'll look for it today and get back to you. Snowing here in northern Az. this a.m so going to the lake or golfing is out. lol

kbait

Commander

I had a headache for a couple days before discovering my first plugged bowl vent. I now check 'em every carb clean. :)

highcountry

Seaman

found the hole and tried blowing thru it, after some work I can get just a little air from the outlet. Not sure how much it should be, it did let a little carb cleaner go thru. New problem, I pulled the lower unit and the water tube came out of the motor, I can't see a way to reinsert it? you can't see up in past the shifter/water tube support. Pulling the power head on this looks like a nightmare.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

use a flash light and look close you'll see it.

highcountry

Seaman

I just want to say thank you for the replies and update where I am at. You folks hit it right on the head. I ended up drilling out the side plug and ran a drill bit in the exit hole to get it unplugged, not sure what was in it but the bit came out with the grooves full of something plant or wax like. I tapped the plug hole and put a short screw in it. Motor started first time over and idled fine, a little ruff but new points will solve that. This thing has been a bear from the start, had to split the case and heat the crank in order to get the drive shaft out of the crank. Made a slide hammer out of an old five pound weight and used large cable clamps as stops. Even heated and setting on a solid vise, it took ten good hits to free it. Anyway thanks again, I think we saved it from the junk yard where I found it. Dana