evinrude 9.5 1968 gearcase leak?

applefishing

Recruit
I checked the oil in the lower unit and it was black with some water in it. When runnining in the bucket I swear I am hearing metal on metal while in nuetral. Any thoughts? What seals or gaskets should I replace? Impeller seems to be working fine, should I do it with any seals? Thanks to all who are helping me get through this, much appreciated!

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: evinrude 9.5 1968 gearcase leak?

Could be clutch dog, I wouldn't run that lower more tho. Pull it off, the water in there from bad seals, but if there's grinding ya gotta have a look see. Grinding+water= usually another lower needed. See if ya can find one on iboats, eBay, c-list. Maybe better off just replacing considering time/money.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well now think bout it more, might be something as simple as the shifter is outta whack. If it gets better/worse if u jiggle the shifter that could b the problem. The shift rod can get bent if u force it alot. Or shift when motor not on. Also where it attaches to lever can loosen. But if ur sure the rod/linkage/lever is ok I'd put money on the clutch dog.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If the lower unit oil has water in it, then it won't be black. It'll look more like vanilla milkshake. The only time you'll find black lower unit oil with water in it, is if the motor sat for several weeks without running, and you drain it out.

Unless the motor is popping out of gear while in forward, then your clutch dog is fine. A bad clutch dog will make your motor pop out of gear, if it's bad. If you hear metal to metal, then it's likely you have issues with bushings or gears grinding together.:cool: