evinrude 88 spl rebuild worth it?

bailz2002

Cadet
i bought my boat and it had an evinrude 88 spl on it that did not run, pulled heads off after compression check and found that one of the pistons must have got hot because it is like melted on one side. since i have got a new motor and have this one sitting in the garage taking up space. I have basically no money it and found rebuild kit for about 500 bucks or so on the internet. Is it worth rebuilding this motor or should i sell it for parts, lower unit, starter, ignition, and trim and tilt all good.

what are your thoughts?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude 88 spl rebuild worth it?

I'd check the bad cylinder in the block. If it has deep grooves in it, you will proabaly need to overbore it to clean up the walls. Also, in rare overeheats, the bridges in the intake and exhaust area can crack-making the block scrap. Check to make sure they are intact (uncracked) before you do anything.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: evinrude 88 spl rebuild worth it?

If you aren't pressed for money right now and can afford to spend the $500 on the rebuild kit, I'd go for it. If you need the money and also need that $500, or just don't have the $500, either sell it as is as a parts motor or part it out.