Evinrude 6hp

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1975 evinrude 6 hp 6504r.When I throttle up after a long troll the throttle is really slow to respond and almost seems to want to stall. The only other thing is it will stall once or twice during the first hour and a half of operation at trolling speed.I can also hear the motor sucking air about half the time while the other half of the time just clacks away in perfcet rhythm.Curios about what I can do to dial er in a little better.I almost always run er at trolling speed unless Im headed in.Thanks.

rcb130

Petty Officer 1st Class
sounds like an air leak at carb. spray some wd-40 around manifold to carb connection and see if the speed increases. If it does you have a bad gasket or loose carb.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Better than wd-40 try starting fluid. You'll get a faster response.

kbait

Commander
If not air leak, and magneto hasn't been serviced for years - pull flywheel, remove and file the pointsets up nice and shiny, reinstall and set to .020". New champion plugs @ .030".
Good luck!

bspeth

Thanks, I will check for leak and service the points.

bspeth

Doesn't appear to be a leak,I sprayed starting fluid around the carb flange and no change in operation. I will have a look under the flywheel and report back.Thanks-B

bspeth

Update. Pulled the flywheel and set the timing with a timing fixture.Intermittent spark on top cylinder when tested with a spark tester.The top cyl coil looks to be original maybe, and the bottom coil appears to have been replaced at some point.Top coil was a 510961 and has no insulation on the wire that comes off of the top and bonds to the mounting screw. The top cyl condenser wire pulled right out of the device. The bottom coil 512154 had good spark but not sure if it is the proper coil for this motor.Went ahead and got two new coils and a tune up kit.Anyhow it seems I may have found my problem in the ignition or at least a problem requiring a remedy.I will let ya know how she runs when I get it put together and lake it.Thanks-B