Evinrude 6hp Fisherman idle problem

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 6hp Fisherman idle problem

Hi,

As you know I have pulled the fuel pump 304089 and taken it apart. It appears sound inside with no holes in the diaphragm. Unfortunately a spring and small plastic disk fell out. I asume that this is an integral part of the pumping cycle. Can anyone help as to where they are meant to go back. I m unable to find a diagram for this pump to assist.

Thank you again.

Here you go:

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

lexus258

Cadet

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.
I pulled the carb again and double checked it. Float ok etc. ptu it all back together fitted a new bulb to the fuel line as the old one appered to have a few small cracks in it.
Took the whole fuel pump apart and reassembled it. As luck would have it the small spring and plastic disk were fitted into one of the two possible spaces. (looks like I took the right one as it now works!!) I'll be taking a photo of it next time it I ever have to take it apart again!!
Fitted new fuel lines from tank and fuel pump to carb.
Set idle at 1 1/2 turns from closed.
Full choke to start after primer pump.
One pull and of she went !! In with the choke let her warm up and a small play with the slow speed and she runs perfectly.
Gear oil next. What type do you guys recommed??
Thanks again.

AlTn

Commander

no small deal successfully rebuilding that pump....my one an only attempt netted about 10 minutes of operation and hours of aggrevation...johnson hi vis is what I've used...any marine grade 80/90 W will do....the hand pump makes it simple to pump in the lower drain hole until it comes out the upper vent hole....these are the straight slotted screws, leave the phillips head alone...also replace both drain and vent gaskets each time..they resemble plastic washers