Evinrude 6hp 1966 running cold

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi my 66 6hp is running cold. I fired it up for the first time this year today and all was well but with my inferred on the water jacket of the head was 115f degrees and the thermostat area was 100f degrees (not the cover where the thermostat sits in the head) I was running in a fedex bin with cold well water. the bin was too small to load it down but I left it run at like 3k rpm (guessing) in neutral for like 10-15 minuets and the hottest I seen was 120f on the head. is this normal or do I need a thermostat? just getting her ready for the season! will it not get to temp (140 degrees at head right?) with out being under load? I know the hood gets a little warm in the summer on long hard runs but only like 100 degrees I'm guessing and it being 90 degrees out side.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 6hp 1966 running cold

Quite common for those thermostats to stick open.--Just 3 screws to inspect it.---You should have a thermostat in it for perfect trolling.----Those 6 HP motors are one of the best / durable / easiest to repair motors you can own.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Check to make sure your thermostat is closing, but personally, I don't think you have a problem. The thermostat only controls part of the powerhead, the rest flows at all times. So, even though the 'stat opens at 140, the water mixes with that other portion.

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Quite common for those thermostats to stick open.--Just 3 screws to inspect it.---You should have a thermostat in it for perfect trolling.----Those 6 HP motors are one of the best / durable / easiest to repair motors you can own.

Yes Sir. I have had the cover off before but I'm going to replace the T stat. I drilled and tapped a hole in the T stat cover to put a elbow in above the bypass outlet so I could have a tell tale but that has nothing to do with the cold running. I can upload pictures of the tell tale mod if wanted but I found it on this page Johnson

14 foot Starcraft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check to make sure your thermostat is closing, but personally, I don't think you have a problem. The thermostat only controls part of the powerhead, the rest flows at all times. So, even though the 'stat opens at 140, the water mixes with that other portion.

Yah I have done the tell tale mod found on this link Johnson so I see what your talking about now as there is a bypass. I'm going to give it a good hard run on the river than look while I'm driving. Maybe the boat lunch will be melted away by Wednesday as its all frozen still