Evinrude 60 HP idle speed

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can find a lot of members here, there have/had the same problem as mine.<br />The Evenrude 60 HP VRO from 1990 wont idle, when I put in water, becose of the back-pressure on the exhauste.<br />I have cleaned the carburators, new plugs, clean tank, new gas, new hoses and handpumps, there is no leaking from VRO-pump, Powerpack is OK, there is spark on all cyl. Comp.pressure is 111, 115 and 116 PSI. All links and cabels has been adjusted according to the manual. The fiber-cam-follower is in center of the mark at the cam (when in neutral), and the clearens between fiber-cam-follower and the cam is 0,2mm. And in that pos. are all. the caburator totaly closed.<br />I have adjusted all. caburators at the low-speed needle valve according to the manual. But still the idle speed is far to low (5-600 rpm when I have the motor out of water, connected to a water-hose). If I start to adjust the idle speed at the idle adjustment screw on the lever for spark control, then I cant keep the clearens between fiber-cam-follower and the cam at 0,2mm. Am I doing some thing wrong in my adjusting ?

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 60 HP idle speed

I would set the idel speed at 8 to 900 while on the muffs. <br /><br />Your cam follower roller may be worn down and clerance cant be maintained. If so get a new one.<br /><br />Idel in water should come back to 750 with motor in gear and not restrained.<br /><br /><br />Good luck!

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Goodoleboy:<br /> I would set the idel speed at 8 to 900 while on the muffs. <br /><br />Your cam follower roller may be worn down and clerance cant be maintained. If so get a new one.<br /><br />Idel in water should come back to 750 with motor in gear and not restrained.<br /><br /><br />Good luck!
Thanks Goodoleboy.<br />But the "cam follower roller" is not worn. If i adjust (clockwise) the "idle speed stop screw", then the "idle speed stop screw" <br /> will press on the "throttle lever arm". And the "throttle lever arm" will press on the link to the "throttle Cam" (part no. 431707). And the "throttle Cam" will then press on the "cam follower roller" . And then I have lost the clearens between "cam follower roller" and "throttle Cam".<br />So when you want to adjust the idle speed at 8 to 900 or more while on the muffs, where do you then adjust it ?<br />Is it at the "idle speed stop screw", ?? (if so, how can I then maintain the clearens between "cam follower roller" and "throttle Cam" ??)<br /><br />or<br /><br />Is it at the "ignition advance stop screw" (under the flyweel) ??<br /><br />or<br /><br />Is it at the "idle mixture needle" (on the caburators) ??<br /><br />Or<br /><br />???????????????

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Goodoleboy:<br /> I would set the idel speed at 8 to 900 while on the muffs. <br /><br />Your cam follower roller may be worn down and clerance cant be maintained. If so get a new one.<br /><br />Idel in water should come back to 750 with motor in gear and not restrained.<br /><br /><br />Good luck!
Thanks Goodoleboy.<br />But the "cam follower roller" is not worn. If i adjust (clockwise) the "idle speed stop screw", then the "idle speed stop screw" <br /> will press on the "throttle lever arm". And the "throttle lever arm" will press on the link to the "throttle Cam" (part no. 431707). And the "throttle Cam" will then press on the "cam follower roller" . And then I have lost the clearens between "cam follower roller" and "throttle Cam".<br />So when you want to adjust the idle speed at 8 to 900 or more while on the muffs, where do you then adjust it ?<br />Is it at the "idle speed stop screw", ?? (if so, how can I then maintain the clearens between "cam follower roller" and "throttle Cam" ??)<br /><br />or<br /><br />Is it at the "ignition advance stop screw" (under the flyweel) ??<br /><br />or<br /><br />Is it at the "idle mixture needle" (on the caburators) ??<br /><br />Or<br /><br />???????????????

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi duke3;<br />I think that you have SV carbs on that engine, if so you have idle speed screws on the side of each carb. These are very touchy to adjust so go easy about a 1/16" in either direction at a time. Adjust all three one at a time. I think that I would go CW first as it seems like it might be a little rich for idle. This adjustment should be made with the boat in the water in fwd. gear and unrestricked.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey Duke. <br />I had to adjust all the linkages on my motor (2004 Johnson 50HP 2 stroke. I had the same problem when you adjust the idle it pushes on the cam follower. On my model the linkage that controls the cam follower has 2 ends that are threaded on to a rod. I had to pop one of those those ends off where it connects to the cam follower. Then turn the end connector. This will shorten or lengthen the connector rod and you will be able to set the proper clearance. Be carefull those ends take a bit of pressure to pry off. <br />Hope this helps JASON

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Duke....Check and make sure you idel timeing is not to late. If its to late it will speed motor up at idel.<br /><br /> Keep in mind tho your also changing WOT timeing at the same time.<br /><br />If Wot timeing is correct then idel will take care of its self.<br /><br />But the vise uh verse aint true. Just cause idel timeing is correct dosen mean that WOT timeing is correct....Weired uh rama huh!<br /><br />other wise manuals would just say set idel timeing and at would at....But nope!<br /><br />If all else fails to get it down whar ya want it. Start pullin plug wars off...At sucker will slow down fore you pull the last won....I garontee ya!<br /><br />Yes.... I know iam being silly.....But its all related to fire and fuel at the rite time...Grin!<br /><br />Good luck!

duke3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by almost retired again:<br /> Hi duke3;<br />I think that you have SV carbs on that engine, if so you have idle speed screws on the side of each carb. These are very touchy to adjust so go easy about a 1/16" in either direction at a time. Adjust all three one at a time. I think that I would go CW first as it seems like it might be a little rich for idle. This adjustment should be made with the boat in the water in fwd. gear and unrestricked.
Thanks “goodoleboy”, “fisherman 38” and “almost retired again” for your answer.<br /><br />Well, since my English is not perfect (Im from Denmark), I dont realy quite understand what you are writing “goodoleboy”. What do you meen by “pullin plug wars off...At sucker will slow down fore you pull the last won”.<br /><br /><br />And “almost retired again” it is correct, that we are talking about SV carbs. And yes I do have idle speed screws on the side of each carb. And I have tried adjusted those idle speed screws clockwice and counterclockwice. But never mind where I place it, the rpm will never be higher than 600 rpm. on the muffs. <br /><br />Should it be possible to get higher rpm by adjusting the idle speed screws ??