Evinrude 50 2 Cyl. Prop and Stabilizer Performance

netsomnia

Cadet
Model: E50TLEOD<br />SN: G03917357<br /><br />I replaced my prop and added a stabilizer to my boat today. I'm doing this because I have cavitation at WOT.<br /><br />The original pitch on my old prop was 12 1/2 X 13 3-blade. The new prop is 12 1/2 x 14 ProPulse 4-blade.<br /><br />I haven't tried it yet but I'm wondering what affect this will have on my motor.<br /><br />Also the Pro-pulse didn't come with a seal that goes betweent the throw out bearing and the prop. It seems to be a tight fit and I'm wondering if I need this seal. The instructions only talk about using the original parts on the outside of the prop (exhause side of the prop). I used the throw out bearing from the oringal prop but I'm wondering if I'm missing a seal between the motor and prop. Any idea about ProPulse props? Does the composite prop need this seal?<br /><br />I look forward to your replies.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Evinrude 50 2 Cyl. Prop and Stabilizer Performance

do you still have the receipt from this new prop you got........you may need it

D

DJ

netsomnia,<br /><br />Changing prop pitch, without knowing what your wide open throttle rpm is, is not a good idea.<br /><br />That engine needs to be able to turn at least 5500 rpms to survive.

netsomnia

Cadet

I wrote this original post yesterday with a few typos. <br /><br />First the actual size of the new prop is 11 1/2 x 14. It's has adjustable blades on it so I went ahead and set it back to 13 like the pitch on the original prop (12 1/2 x 13).<br /><br />I still have the receipt of the new prop just in case.<br /><br />The main concern I have is that there's no seal like there is on the original prop. The seal I'm referring to is between the hub of the prop and the thrust washer next to the exhaust. <br /><br />NOTE: yesterday I was referring to the washer as a throw-out bearing but it's actually called a thrust washer. I sent a Email to Propulse to find out if I need a seal between the thrust washer and the prop. West Marine was no help. They referred me back to Propulse too.<br /><br />I appreciate all the replies. I'll have the original prop with me in case I need to change it out to get back to shore. :) I plan on testing all of this Wednesday night. <br /><br />Hopefully I'm not throwing too many factors at my problems all at once. I'm having shift problems too. I'm hoping the Propulse composite prop will decrease wear and tear on my lower unit and give me a little more life before I have to tear down the lower unit and replace the clutch dog.<br /><br />Do you think I should by a tach to test props? Is this just matter of plugging a tach. in the accessory hole of the OMC control box or is there more to it than this?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

As for the Tach, I would for sure get one and the harness to hook it up to the control box. Makes it very easy. You will need the tach to make sure you are running the correct pitch prop and the proper RPM's for your motor. A must have!!

netsomnia

Cadet

Hey Rick,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I didn't look at the control box for the tach. connections when I had it apart. The prop and hydrofoil were after thoughts I had after I replaced the shift cable.<br /><br />Will I need to take the control box apart again?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

There is no seal. There is the thrust washer, the prop, the nut, the lockwasher and that's it. Same as a regular prop. I think you may be talking about the rubber hub that you see on your old prop. You should not need anything else.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I had thought you said you had the Tach plug on the outside of the control box(3 Prong Black Plug). Nevertheless, I assume you have a console on this boat. There should be a gray wire up under the console, tucked away with the other wires, but does not go to anything. That would be your tach sending wire. Then you just need a ground wire and a 12 volt hot wire to hook it up. Not bad at all...