Evinrude 48spl

Mallardgrn

Recruit
Engine starts and idles and will run in gear on a hose with ears.....put it in the water and it runs in idle but put it in gear and try to put power to it it dies. I've gotten it to run on idle in gear but as soon as you turn the throttle it dies. I've replaced coils, new fuel pump, rebuilt cards, new plugs, new cold start solenoid, new stator trigger.....I'm lost....just noticed last time trying to start after replacing stator trigger that the flywheel key is bad but we are pretty sure that's a new development.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
This applies to many 2, 3, and 4 cylinder models:

Very common problem.

Disconnect the throttle cable at the motor end. Now grab the lever with your fingers (where the cable was attached), and observe the timer base advance as you move the bottom end of the lever (not running). It should go to full advance with very little movement of the carburetors. It is only when it reaches full advance that the carbs make significant opening.

However, if the timer base is sticky, it will lag while the carbs open too soon. If it does that while running, it will fall on it's face, maybe even stall. Cure is get rid of the stickiness by cleaning and relubing the timer base mounting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In gear on a hose is really still nuetral, the prop does no " work " moving a bit of air !-----What was / is wrong with the flywheel key ?----What does a compression test show?----What did you torque the flywheel nut to ?

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like F_R's idea, an easy test not running. About the only thing not changed is the charge coil, might as well change it out while flywheels off working on the flywheel key. might get a manual also and what year is your 48spl?