Evinrude 30hp Starting Problems....STRANGE!

pianorealm

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1991 Evinrude 30hp pull start outboard. It was on a boat I bought recently. I have had a great deal of trouble starting it. Strange thing is I found out by accident a 'sort' of way to start it: Position remote throttle at idle....purge extra fuel a couple of times.....pull starter rope several times...WON'T start...not even a flutter! Position the throttle to 1/2 open...leave for 1/2 hour to one hour......pull again....STARTS INSTANTLY! Can throttle back to idle no problem. Will start easily now if warm, even if throttle is in idle position. Leave it more than an hour and I have to go through the whole procedure again!!!!
Any help would really be appreciated!
Regards, Howard

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 30hp Starting Problems....STRANGE!

Please explain "purge extra fuel".

Sounds like you are flooding the engine on the initial try to start it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cold start procedure. pump hose bulb till hard, neutral, throttle to start position, not idle, as far as it will turn in neutral, choke, pull. should start 2nd or 3 try. if not do not choke any more.

pianorealm

Cadet

Please explain "purge extra fuel".

Sounds like you are flooding the engine on the initial try to start it.

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry, I've not explained properly. I'm referring to the plunger (like a choke) on the engine. The manual says when starting from cold it needs to be pushed in an out a couple of times (extra fuel to carbs) I've also tried to start without this procedure...still no joy!
Regards, Howard