Evinrude 1983 60hp low compression

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Yes dont try a wrench on those head bolts, you will round off the edges and then you will be in really big trouble. All you need to buy is just a socket that fits that size bolt. Buying that is way cheaper than even just an hour at a mechanics and it will last you a very long time.
The water cover jacket needs to come off so you can inspect the thermostat so you havent wasted your time doing that either

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
No problem I was planning to go to my mother and borrow socket wrenches, torque wrenches and a gummy Hammer. My father was a electrician when he was alive, so there's no shortage of tools. Will give it a new try during the weekend (I'm at home with our daughter so it mostly nights that I have time for this). I was going to ask about the location of the thermostat because I read that there is good practice to change it when doing an overhaul.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yes its down the bottom, take note of its position and also the red thing next to it which has a spring on it, thats called your poppet valve, it opens at high speeds to allow more water to cool the motor. You need to look at it carefully to make sure its not heat warped.. I just test the thermostat in a saucepan, if it works it saves quite a few dollars

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No Title

What you definitely have to do on this motor when you have the head off is a reconfiguration of the cooling system. Johnson/Evinrude built these with a design fault. They allow air bubbles to get trapped at the top of the motor, so you just move the outlet from engine for the tell tale to a hole you drill on top of the motor.
Heres mine, you can see the outlet now under the lifting eye.

and heres a link to te service bulletin on it
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...aq/228380-johnson-evinrude-adding-a-tell-tale

But dont bother yourself with that now, first job is to inspect those cylinders/pistons/gasket

Attachments

• photo214878.jpg
    photo214878.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214879.JPG
    photo214879.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 1

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

A couple of days ago I tried again but had a failure again with one bolt, however today I tried again with more tools and finally was able to remove the head (I had to remove the 10 bolts + 2 extra in the bottom). The head gasket is blown as you clearly can see in the pictures here. I haven't opened the water jacket yet and one cord is still connected to the head, I can move it around though. There's also a hole in the bottom where one of the two extra bolts is (with some rubber for removing vibrations I guess). So what's the next step, what do I need except a new head gasket?

Attachments

• photo227755.jpg
    photo227755.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227756.jpg
    photo227756.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227757.jpg
    photo227757.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227758.jpg
    photo227758.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression numbers don't lie.---Not surprised to see a blown gasket.----Those rubber mounts are there to hold the lower cowling.---------Any more pictures of the cylinder walls.---Looks like issues are starting to show , possible light scoring.

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
Have a couple of pictures but these were the best. I thought the cylinder looked nice, didn't see any scratches and it felt smooth.
If there's scoring is the only fix to drill? Do I need sealant for the head gasket?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You need to look at your thermostat and poppet valve in the back of the head and check them over.
No most head gaskets come with the proper sealant.
You also need to move the telltale to the top of the block before you install the head back on, failure to do that will result in another blow out

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
How much torque should be user when reassembling the head and is there a specific order? Which thermostat do I need?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
How much torque should be user when reassembling the head and is there a specific order? Which thermostat do I need?
check thermosta opens in hot water, hold it n a saucepan and heat it up.
yes pattern is from inner to outer like starting in the centre of a spiral and going outwards, the last bolts are the two on the top then the two on the bottom.
I cant remember the torque, i think its around 22ft pounds, someone will know

Bosunsmate

Admiral
you need to clean the bolts and the threads in the motor otherwise torque readings will be way off

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

The brown cable in the picture is still connected, not sure how I'm supposed to remove that? If I remove all the bolts for the water jacket will I be able to disconnect it? How easy is it to reach the thermostat? Is there a gasket for the water jacket also? As I said before I have a bit of limited time to do this so it would be nice to order some of the parts soon. I have a general repair manual but it's not very specific on where what you need to disconnect.

Attachments

• photo227369.jpg
    photo227369.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
the brown cable is for the overheat sensor, slide the rubber tubing out the way and you will see the bit that disconnects, thermostat is just behind that cover.
Once you check that then you know what parts you will need to order

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
Oh alright thanks. I found the value for the torque in the appendix of the repair manual, 216-240 lb which means 18-20 ft lb (24.4-27.12nm we use the metric system in Sweden). I guess I will have to get a toque wrench with small head like 1/4 to be able to fit in the smallest places.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
no worries. I use a universal joint adaptor for those bottom two. It cost me $5. Interesting you are in Sweden with one of these 60hps, im on the opposite side of the world, New Zealand with one.
It was so much better on this site when the profiles on the left of posts included where they were from

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Took some new pictures of the cylinder wall, seems to be some light scoring. When should I start to worry? I removed the water jacket cover, how do I remove the thermostat? The gasket for the water jacket needs replacing also. What's the little red thing next to the thermostat? How often should gasket be replaced? What should I use for cleaing up and removing old gaskets, bolts etc?

Attachments

• photo227984.jpg
    photo227984.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227985.jpg
    photo227985.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227986.jpg
    photo227986.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 1

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
What parts do I need? I'm having trouble identifying the correct water jacket gasket. Is the red thing the reed valve?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
No, that is a pressure relief valve. If its not warped or melted looking, leave it be.

As for the scoring - can you feel it with your fingernail? If so, not good.

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
I have checked the thermostat now, doesn't seem to work. Grommet valve, valve pressure relief and spring valve seems ok. I think I'm ready to order the stuff I need, I have seen that you can get sierra and omc parts. Is the price worth it for the more expensive ones (for example the thermostat).

https://www.bootskram.com/thermostat-sierra-18-3543.html?___SID=U Thermostat sierra (cheap)
https://www.bootskram.com/thermostat-ay-5005440-omc-johnson-und-evinrude-ersatzteil.html?___SID=U Thermostat OMC (expensive)

https://www.bootskram.com/gasket-cyl-hd-cvr-315538-omc-johnson-und-evinrude-ersatzteil.html?___SID=U Water jacket gasket OMC (a little bit more expensive)
https://www.bootskram.com/dichtung-zylinderdeckel-johnson-evinrude-35-60-ps-sierra-18-0941.html Water jacket gasket Sierra

https://www.bootskram.com/zylinderkopfdichtung-fuer-johnson-evinrude-sierra-18-3802.html?___SID=U Head gasket Sierra (cheap)
https://www.bootskram.com/gasket-335359-omc-johnson-und-evinrude-ersatzteil.html?___SID=U Head gasket OMC (expensive)

Do they work for my engine? Is it really worth to go for the expensive ones? The reason why I want to buy from Germany is because a lot cheaper shipping and no custom charges. If I order from US I would have to pay ridiculous for the shipping. I haven't found the water jacket gasket in any shops in sweden unfortunatly.