Evinrude 175xp Question?

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Friends,
I just had this 1988 175xp installed on my boat replacing a Force Motor.

My concern is: It ran fine when I took it out Sunday. But, I did notice when
it was at "No Wake Speed", the Motor would Shake back and forth a little and it seems to have a small "miss" at lower idle speeds. The Marine shop that did the motor swap told me it has a small miss at WOT but it was really nothing to worry about cause they feel the motor just needed to be ran. I had them bypass the V Oil Pump so I can mix the gas and oil myself. 50.1

What would you do to try to fix this problem?

Marine Shop check it out and Compression is good and everything worked fine.

Thanks, Tim Myers
Staunton, Va.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 175xp Question?

Always possible that it is a carb problem. The idle passageways in the carb bodies are very small. If any fuel dries up in those passages during periods of storage, the engine may not idle well. You may want to disassemble them and shoot some aerosol carb cleaner through all the fuel passages, comparing the aerosol flow rates from one carb to the other. Does the engine "lean sneeze" at all at idle?

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure what that means but I will tell you it is a RUNNING SUCKER at WOT.

I noticed yesterday that the pee hole water is just barely streaming out. Impeller change needs to done is my thinking. Do you know how to do this? I have change them on Force engines several times. Is it about the same?

Thanks, Tim

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The water pump changeout is similar. In addition to the bolts on the lower unit, you will need to disconnect the shift rod under the bottom carb before the lower unit will come down/out. A "lean sneeze" is a carb term for an occasional slight miss at idle. It is common on engines that have restricted idle passages due to dried/old fuel. That engine actually puts out 10% more hp than the 175 on the cowling.

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,
That is good to know.

Do you know of any sites out here that may have a diagram on the Shift Linkage Disconnect/connect?

I need to change my Starter out to. I'm staring a loud "Scream" at the first few seconds of turn over.

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You can look at all the parts diagrams for your engine on the Bombardier website: epc.brp.com. A starter squeal is not unusual on that motor. Probably do not need to replace it. The squeal is not a fatal problem, more of an irritation. If you pull it apart, you may find it is full of carbon dust and that the bearings need some new lube. You could also put a new set of brushes in rather cheaply.