evinrude 15 hp trouble

pdl

Cadet
i have a 1976 15hp evinrude.it was running ok but spark was arking off of time advance arm.i pulled the flywheel and found ground wire loose under flywheel.fixed that problem and now it is firing on both plugs but will not idle or run smooth.does the flywheel need to be torqed to a certain lbs could this be the problem.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude 15 hp trouble

I would recheck the timing first, if that is off it would make it run bad, especially at idle and since that is the last thing you messed with it would be the first thing I looked at.
As far as the torque ? I am certain that nut needs torqued but to what I don't know.
As a tip, when you post be a little more specific in your title like "timing problem" or "fly wheel torque spec"
It will help get your question answered sooner I think, but if you have an outboard and it has problems you are in the right place.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude 15 hp trouble

When you put the flywheel back on are you sure the key did not slip out of place?

Also it it not torqued down and the engine back fire or stumbles it can sheer the key and then be out of time.