Evinrude 112 SPL will not start

Sarentack

Seaman
It started about 6 months ago back around February I think it was, it sat up since then, but now wont start. I did meter checks on spark plugs and wires and was getting fire even through the spark plugs except one, changed it out, still wont crank up, it turns over, but wont start. I squirted some gas into the carbs to see if I could get any sort of combustion to crank, and still nothing. Choking it wont work either, I know its getting fuel, but somewhere along the line, the combustion of fuel is not happening and I dont know why. Anyone got any solutions?

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
first this to check would be to make sure all 4 plugs have a good hot blue spark. it will be clearly visible and with make a snap when it sparks. next step i would check is the compression. pull all your spark plugs out, this would also be a good time to double check your spark, and do a compression test on the motor. if you dont have a compression tester to use, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and have someone spin the motor over, if its got compression it will pop your thumb off of the plug hole, if it doesnt blow your thumb off the hole, then you have a compression issue. if you have good compression on all four cylinders, you have a fuel delivery issue, either carbs or fuel pump. i know this sounds redundant and its been in a lot of posts on here but this is the generic diagnosing procedure for hard to start or non starting motors. give that a try and let us know how it works, and we will try and help you from there.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When you crank and choke the engine to start it and it does not start, check the spark plugs. See if they are wet or dry..that will tell you something.

Sarentack

Seaman
looks like I aint getting any spark, according to a spark tester I got, although I was seemingly getting a reading on the Volt meter looks like either 6.5-9v per wire.

Hard to believe both coils went out just by sitting there for 3-4 months. Cannot see any spark from inside the wires or the plugs though, not even in pitch black night.

Last edited:

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
maybe loose ground or your kill circuit

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Is the battery charged up? That engine has to crank at least 250 rpm's in order to fire the ignition system.