Evin. 140hp Mako 17.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Finally found a good motor for my Mako, the boat is rated at 140hp MAX. People often said the 90 was to slugish and anything 115- 140 is perfect. I was curious about these 140hps, they seem to be a bigger block? Its a 1988 Evinrude, it is one of two that was on a 25' whaler. Any paying 1350, any suggestions? comments?

interalian

Commander
If you're buying one of a pair of motors, make sure it's standard prop rotation. And I'd say if you're rated for 140 you'll enjoy 140 horses on it. However, is the Mako of a vintage that was max rated for flywheel HP or prop HP? I think the '88s are prop rated motors.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
An '88 140HP would be a looper. A fantastic motor. And for $1350 if it was anywhere near me I'd have bought it already.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
If you're buying one of a pair of motors, make sure it's standard prop rotation. And I'd say if you're rated for 140 you'll enjoy 140 horses on it. However, is the Mako of a vintage that was max rated for flywheel HP or prop HP? I think the '88s are prop rated motors.

I belive it would be flywheel rated, ive seen people put v6's on these heavy old boats.... Gear, people and all probally pushing 2300lbs or so...

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/bpo/5755221301.html

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Oinker. I'm running a tad bit over my boat's plate rating, but that doesn't matter here in the GWN - nobody's looking at rating plates and motors.

My boat doesnt have a plate, Im not even sure what year it is....It says 72 on the HIN at the end...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Be warned those are salty motors. That was OMCs first attempt at a looper it is a bigger block and they are good runners. They are prop rated motors.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Be warned those are salty motors. That was OMCs first attempt at a looper it is a bigger block and they are good runners. They are prop rated motors.

Im curious as to what fuel econemy I will exspect with one of these? Im hoping at least 3mpg at optimal engine RPM (cruise) with the right prop

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Im curious as to what fuel econemy I will exspect with one of these? Im hoping at least 3mpg at optimal engine RPM (cruise) with the right prop
They are not great on gas. Rule of thumb would be 12 GPH at wide open throttle.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I thought 14gph? its a 140? Do you think 3mpg is doable with this>
Thats right I was thinking it is a 120. The mileage will be up to you how, hard you run it,condition of the boat and if it's propped correctly all these will be factors in MPGs.

Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Compression numbers are 115 withing 5%, good enough?! Maybee a good decarb will help?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Compression numbers are 115 withing 5%, good enough?! Maybee a good decarb will help?

Sounds good to me. It's most important that they are within tolerance compared to each other as opposed to just how high the numbers are.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Got the motor, its quite big, but it will fit on her nicely. It took 3 separate 15second turns of the key to get her going, but she wasn't really run that long in a year, she was just started up the week before to test. I'm happy with it, the guy had a special tool to get it on his picker, I ordered one tonight, it is a a OMC flywheel hook thingy. I have a puller, THis girl is heavy!!!

​Il update here is Ive got questiong and progress with getting her on the boat. One last question, If I got boat insurance, would they cancel me because its 5hp over the limit? There is no tag on the boat, its just what mako says?!

Last edited by a moderator:

interalian

Commander
You're hanging a motor that's 140hp prop rated on a boat that has a hull rating of 140 (per your first post), and is of a vintage where motors were flywheel rated (you say '72). 140 at the prop is more like 160+ on the flywheel. No idea what your insurance would say if they care about HP

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
My old insurance company (State Farm) wouldn't insure my 1977 boat. They would only give me 'property damage' insurance. That's if I hit something with my boat on the water or while being tolled to the lake. They told me my 'mint' condition boat wasn't worth anything. :(

I changed to Allstate insurance and they told me my trailer was worth $1,000 by itself :)

Just talk to your insurance company to see how they insure boats :)

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Only reason I ask is because I will be renting a slip hopefully and I think some clubs require it...