Evaluating a diesel engine

boomvang

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta MD11C in a boat that pretty much fell in my lap. I am looking for help in putting together a plan that I can follow to:

- Evaluate the engine to determine what, if any, issues the engine has.
- Perform maintenance that needs to be done before Spring launch
- Come up with a maintenance schedule to follow in the future

To the best of my knowledge the boat has been on the hard for the past two years, except for a brief launch to test the engine for a possible sale. My understanding is that the sale fell through for reasons other than the engine. The boat is a 1980 model and the engine is original. The engine is raw water cooled and has always been in fresh water (Great Lakes).

This is the first diesel engine I have ever owned and I really don't know much about them. I have previously taken a tempermental Atomic 4 gas engine and made it run very well with the help of the folks and forum members over at Moyer Marine. I am hopeful that I can do the same with this engine, with some guidance and information here.

What should be my first steps in evaluating the engine? What can I do over Winter and what has to wait until Spring?

I figure before spring launch I should, at a minimum, replace the water pump impeller and change the engine oil/filter and fuel filter(s?). What other basic maintenance should I expect to do? Should the two-year-old fuel be pumped out and disposed of or is this less of an issue than with old gas fuel? Should the tank be cleaned?

Thanks,
Tim

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evaluating a diesel engine

Have you downloaded the operations guide here: Engine database - Engine database : Volvo Penta

Just type in MD11C in the Engine Type box.

Most of what you ask is there. I would read that over some. The most obvious check for health is probably power, and I would want to see her run at full load. If she is right, and propped correctly she should run about 2500 RPM according to the manual.