Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ethanol

That's the beauty of opinions as they are like "butts" and everybody has one. I don't dispute or doubt that there are some issues out there but since I live, work (not much anymore) and play in the midwest we have different environmental conditions than other areas of the country and undoubtedly drastically different than the coastal areas. The fact remains that we in this neck of the woods have used corn squeezin's in boats, cars, snowmobiles and yard equipment since 1997 and it is simply not an issue with engines built from a few years before that through the present. I just purchased a 1977 Craftsman Generator that has definitely not lived "the good life" and one must assume it lived at least since 1997 on untreated E10 fuel. Upon dissassembly of the carb there was a bit of crud in the bowl but no more than I've found in any other engine that never saw E10 and I've seen a bunch of them over my seven decaded (ok my age is out of the bag). If specific engines (newer) are having E10 issues the blame needs to be aimed at the engine (or other product) manufacturers as they are well aware of the E10 mandate and should have made appropriate design changes if needed. If your '08 Ranger doesn't like E10 there is something wrong with it or your fuel supplier. Up here we see hundreds of pontoons and about 90% of them are older and have the red (at least they used to be red) 6 gallon fuel tanks on the back of each tube. They just keep on chugging along with no issue. My whole issue surrounding E10 is that too many service people are way too quick to blame E10 for engine problems and are using the switch to E10 as a way to pad the bill and instill fear in the mind of the boating public. Rather than actually educating their customers on proper treatment of E10, they are simply raiding their wallets.

Laddies

Banned

In as much as petroleum based oils do not mix with alcohol what lubricates a two cycle engine when the 10% plus ethanol goes through a system that is mixed in the tank or premixed in the fuel pump like most carburated two cycles are today?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This subject comes up at least monthly. This post has too many political overtones and comments.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.