Ethanol in fuel

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are two gas stations in town that sell pure gasoline, but they are several miles out of the way. Is it worth taking the boat there to fill up to avoid putting gas with alcohol in the fuel?

I'm curious about what people's opinions are on that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ethanol in fuel

OKAY...are you sure you want to open up this can of worms (debate again)? On a different subject, I see what looks like an R/C plane on your post moniker. Do you build and fly them?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ugh, why must everything petroleum related be so controversial. It makes searching for answers very time consuming.

Yes, building and flying RC aircraft is one of my hobbies. :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ugh, why must everything petroleum related be so controversial.

The search function is not all that hard to operate.

The E-10 "thing" has been totally beat to death.

Most of us here have been running it in everything we own since it's inception and have had not experienced ill effects.

All the manufacturers approve it (except for fiberglass fuel tanks)
I store (garage) my boat from SEP to JUN with less than 1/4 tank of E-10 fuel and fill it up every Summer. I have done this for as long as E-10 has been available. No ill effects.

I wouldn't waste my time driving anywhere to buy gasoline that they claim has no ethanol.......because if you're gonna buy it, you better test it every time you get it to ensure that you're actually GETTING "pure-gas".

The only people who MUST worry about it are aircraft owners that run autogas ("MOGAS") under an FAA approved Supplemental Type Certificate [STC]
They MUST test gasoline to be in compliance EAA - EAA's Alcohol Test Kit

I don't worry about it for my cars or my boat.

OKAY...are you sure you want to open up this can of worms
Just use the worms for fishing!:facepalm:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's your time and money so if it makes you feel better then do it.

But maybe the real question to ask is:
Will/are you ever be in a position to need fuel from a marina or source that does have Ethanol and if so, are you prepared for that?

If so, is your fuel system lines outdated and in need of replacement to deal with that fuel? Do you carry a fuel additive onboard to add to this fuel? Do you already have installed a water-separating fuel filter? Carry an extra onboard?

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Many states have no mandate indicating their fuel is ethanol blended so you really don't know what you are getting. Use a fuel system treatment and go boating. I even use it in my Giant Scale RC airplane engines.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Many states have no mandate indicating their fuel is ethanol blended so you really don't know what you are getting. Use a fuel system treatment and go boating. I even use it in my Giant Scale RC airplane engines.

That's right. The "Mandate" is simply "Up to 10%"

Some states allow a certain percentage of No-ethanol fuel to be sold.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

If you want to know for sure, you'll have to test it yourself.

I just buy whatever is at the pump and go boating. I don't use any sort of additives at all and never have.

ymmv.......

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I'm lucky enough to have a station near me that sells non-eth for about 6? more than E-10, so I buy that when I'm here. If I'm "up north" with my and need to fill up...I buy E-10 and don't worry about it in the least. I've stored E-10 for over a year in a sealed container, opened it up, filled up a riding lawnmower and ran it no problems. I think the E-10 paranoia is waaaaay overdone.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have several stations near me, the closest is 6 miles, that sell non-ethanol so that's what I always use for the boat, the '69 Chevy, and the small engines. It's worth it to me to have one less potential problem that can crop up.
I don't know if ethanol is really as bad as they say and I don't want to find out the hard way. If you can get buy the non-ethanol stations without too much trouble I would use them. I always make sure to tell the cashier when I pay for my fuel exactly why I chose to spend $150 at their store. I want them to be aware that I appreciate the produce they are carrying.