Ethanol Gas to Blame, Could it Be?

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice
I've read all the stuff about Ethanol gas, but here's a new and very personal one. A very reputable marine mechanic had my boat for some outdrive maintenance. When they went to start it, it would not start and they found the engine covered with gas, like a stuck carburetor float. (The carb is a new Edelbrock just over a year old that worked great all last Summer.) After a few days of airing it out they tried again and the same thing. According to them the carb was "spewing" gas. They took the carb apart and found nothing. They replaced the electric fuel pump and all is good, so they say the pump failed in an "over-pressurized" mode. Has anyone heard of or experienced that before?

Could this all be about ethanol gas? Mechanic is saying that I may have "crystals" in my gas tank left behind by ethanol, that are causing my pump to fail.

Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ethanol Gas to Blame, Could it Be?

If your mechanic used the "crystals" theory on you, its time to get another mechanic. If he believes this who knows what other line of scientific facts he might believe in.....LOL

A new carb is ethanol proof. The worst thing ethanol could do is clean out your system.

UncleWillie

Captain

Could this all be about ethanol gas? Mechanic is saying that I may have "crystals" in my gas tank left behind by ethanol, that are causing my pump to fail.

If your mechanic used the "crystals" theory on you, its time to get another mechanic. If he believes this who knows what other line of scientific facts he might believe in.....LOL
A new carb is ethanol proof. The worst thing ethanol could do is clean out your system.

Another victim of "Crystal Eth" !!! :facepalm:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If the dreaded crystals are to blame, a quality 10 micron filter will scare them away for good. :lol:

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crystals!? Are they valuable? If debris from the tank is making it past the filter to the pump or carb i think you other problems. Wait, which side of the filter is the pump plumbed? Also as an FYI the edelbrock carbs are pretty sensitive to fuel pressure so it's possible that without an external reg the pump could overpower the float needle. They claim 6.5 psi max.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe the carb float needle/seat is bad?....It's like a toilet float valve that shuts off when tank is full...

oldjeep

Admiral

Better be careful, not only will ethanol fill your carb with crystals, it has been known to kick your dog and steal your wife.

I agree - find a new mechanic, one who smokes less dope

Doug Roy

Seaman Apprentice

Crystals!? Are they valuable? If debris from the tank is making it past the filter to the pump or carb i think you other problems. Wait, which side of the filter is the pump plumbed? Also as an FYI the edelbrock carbs are pretty sensitive to fuel pressure so it's possible that without an external reg the pump could overpower the float needle. They claim 6.5 psi max.

Filter is between the tank and the pump, and was replaced before it was fired up in the Spring, so how any debris could get thru to the pump or carb I have no clue. Guess those "crystals" are sneaky little devils! Thanks for mentioning the Edelbrock carb fuel pressure issue. I'll check on that. That makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Appreciate the feedback!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Filter is between the tank and the pump, and was replaced before it was fired up in the Spring, so how any debris could get thru to the pump or carb I have no clue.
Make sure your using a 10 micron filter. Anything less is asking for problems.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn ethanol, nowadays it seems all the engine issues are related to the ethanol in the fuel. Guess its easier than actually fault finding the problem.

Crystals? That theory has been roundly disproven by modern science. Now adays we know that your boat is suffering from an imbalance of bodily humors, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in her carburetor. You might consider taking your boat to Theodoric of York for future maintenance

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Back to a serious note: The only time Ethanol additive gives trouble is when it is mixed with gasoline containing MBTE additive (no longer available). Then, in the presence of water or moisture, it will form a gel which can clog filters, fuel pumps, and carbs. When this gel dries it will form crystals. So yes, you could refer to them as crystal eth!

At any rate, I don't thing that the 10% ethanol was the cause of your problem. More likely a failed pressure regulator on the pump or a failed overpressure lock-out switch on the pump or something similar depending upon your engine.