Estimated Top Speed

t_south91

Seaman
'85 sea sprite, 3.8L 4 brrl, 185hp. 19p 3 blade prop. Dry weight is 1900lbs

Estimations on a top speed??

I'm thinking around 45 but I'm not to sure.
Thanks in advance for the replys!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Estimated Top Speed

That's probably in the right area.
You need to go for a ride and check the RPMs at WOT.
Your motor should tach out at about 44/4500
If it's not up to 4500 then the props pitch needs to be changed to a 17.
Over 4500 then change up to a 20 or 21.
Post your results on the sea trial.
Or bring it by and I'll go for a ride with you.
Remember the more you load your boat the harder the motor works.
Take out the stuff your not gonna use.

t_south91

Seaman

That's probably in the right area.
You need to go for a ride and check the RPMs at WOT.
Your motor should tach out at about 44/4500
If it's not up to 4500 then the props pitch needs to be changed to a 17.
Over 4500 then change up to a 20 or 21.
Post your results on the sea trial.
Or bring it by and I'll go for a ride with you.
Remember the more you load your boat the harder the motor works.
Take out the stuff your not gonna use.

Thank you for the advice! I should have it ready to run in the next couple days!
Appreciate the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

it will do 70mph on the trailer behind your tow vehicle while on the highway.

you should be able to hit 45 easy.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Until he hits a wake, gets airborne, prop comes out of the water thereby unloading the engine which immediately shoots to 8000 rpm and a rod lets go blasting through the oil pan and hull so all the oil leaks into the water so when the watercops come they give you a summons for illegal dumping of toxic materials into the water and close down the lake, rivers and tributaries and call in oil slick removal companies but call an oil exploration company by mistake who see the oil floating and set up a drilling platform in the middle of the 893 acre lake and drill 15000 feet down and find a bit of natural gas so a fracking company is called in and they set up on the shoreline and unknowingly inject fluid under the earthen dam pushing a hole in it so the lake drains leaving all the fish flopping around so all the fisher people go running out happily grabbing fish and you're hailed as a hero for the most awesome fishing day ever.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Until he hits a wake, gets airborne, prop comes out of the water thereby unloading the engine which immediately shoots to 8000 rpm and a rod lets go blasting through the oil pan and hull so all the oil leaks into the water so when the watercops come they give you a summons for illegal dumping of toxic materials into the water and close down the lake, rivers and tributaries and call in oil slick removal companies but call an oil exploration company by mistake who see the oil floating and set up a drilling platform in the middle of the 893 acre lake and drill 15000 feet down and find a bit of natural gas so a fracking company is called in and they set up on the shoreline and unknowingly inject fluid under the earthen dam pushing a hole in it so the lake drains leaving all the fish flopping around so all the fisher people go running out happily grabbing fish and you're hailed as a hero for the most awesome fishing day ever.

Walt, that's clearly a "worst case scenario" they might find natural gas at 10,000 feet?