Estimated dealer cost of upgrades

pred02

Seaman
Hi,
We are looking at a pre-owned 26ft FW. We would like to add some upgrades, which will be done at the local FW dealer. I am not looking for exact figures just ballpark estimates as to how much the work would cost (so we can take into consideration / cost):

1. Adding a windlass (Lewmar or similar). The boat is 'prewired' for the windlasss (FW 268)
2. Adding bottom paint
3. Changing the GPS unit; the boat has the GPS unit mounted however we would like to change the unit to a Garmin as the maps in the region where we boat are better with Garmin. Also we would like to add the fuel flow monitor and depth reader
4. Adding a step-down voltage converter - not sure if this can be done in the US, but would it be possible to add a 240->120watt voltage step down converter installed in the boat (versus having an external unit).

Thanks!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Estimated dealer cost of upgrades

i'd say somewhere between $1000 and $10000.

Honestly your prices are going to be all over the place, depending on your dealer and location. Any guesses more specific than the above are just that, guesses.

Brewman61

Ensign

Costs vary so widely by geographic location, it's best to just ask local businesses for the information. Compare the various dealers you might patronize and see what you get.

pred02

Seaman

Here is what they came up with an estimate (parts and labor):

1. Add windlass - $4700
2. Bottom paint - $2300
3. GPS install with fuel sensor - $385
4. Winterize (engine including tanks) - $465

The windlass and bottom paint charge seems a bit eccessive. If getting the windlass installed is that much, then its probably best we look for a boat with one that has it installed.

Thanks!

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I was always told that if you have to ask price, you can't afford it. I'm wondering if that's still the case?