erattic fuel gage 90hp yam

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice
posted a couple weeks ago about a power loss after warming up- finally found time to go through and clean the carbs this weekend and everything seemed to run well with no power lapses. However, I did notice my fuel gage fluctuating with my throttle speed- not just shifting fuel... The fuel gage is just the cheap aftermarket unit, not the Yamaha. with the ignition on/engine off I was reading 1/2, got the same reading at idle after starting. As I increased the throttle, up went the fuel gage to full at full throttle. It seemed to follow my throttle settings, but when I go back to idle it would only go back down to 3/4. Turn the ignition off and back on, it resets to 1/2??? Is my voltage regulator bad or maybe just the tank sensor? thanks for the help, and could this be related to the previous power loss problems?<br /><br /><br />Old post:<br />2003 90hp yam 2-stoke w/ 90 hours. I took the boat out the other week (after sitting about 5 weeks) and it started fine throttled up fine ran about 2 or 3 minutes then bogged down. Didn't sound like a fuel problem, but that was the easiest place to start, so I installed a canister fuel filter, new under cowl filter and a new fuel pump. After 2 more sea trials the symptoms are still persisting. She boggs down to about 1500rpm (no warning buzzer, full of oil and head still cool/warm to touch)after about 2-3 minutes. Seems to idle fine and will throttle up fine in nuetral with no load. During my sea trials it has come back and run fine for a minute and then the problem persists. My warrenty ran out the day before the problem occured- however the dealer took it in last week "under warrenty" and now I'm stuck with a $350 repair bill for them to tell me they couldn't get it to mess up/don't know...they did put it on a dyno to load it up.... still no good. Where do I start now? I have thought that if it were a carb problem, I would have more low end problems or a more consistant problem? Power pack? ? ?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: erattic fuel gage 90hp yam

A ground problem can also cause the guage to read high. A voltage drop will make it read low. You never said how much gas was actually in the tank.

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: erattic fuel gage 90hp yam

actually I think it has about 3/4. I had a flowmeter hooked up, but removed the sensor at the start of these troubles to make sure it wasn't impeding my fuel flow. If the lower voltage makes it read low, then would I possibly be correct in thinking a bad voltage reg might be spiking it at higher rpm's? But it also sounds a lot eassier to check for a bad ground to make sure its not the other way- thanks