Epoxy resin?

Cjmea

Recruit
I've done lots of research on our pontoon restoration, but can't find this. We just bought Arauco plywood for our deck and need to seal it. I see several people saying to use an Epoxy Resin. Can you tell me which one I should buy? Thanks!

Cjmea

Recruit
That's more than I was hoping to spend. Would you recommend anything else to seal the wood with? I'm pretty sure we will be using Tuff Coat on it, so I just need to seal the underside of the wood. I think the Tuff Coat would be enough to seal the top part of the wood (plus it comes with an epoxy seal as their first step).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm for a Pontoon boat I've heard bad reports of the Tuff Coat Peeling and cracking causing water to get under it and into the wood. There's not to many viable options for sealing the wood properly and getting long term good results. $250 is really not that bad especially when you KNOW the deck won't have issues again. You could buy CCA Treated plywood for $80 per sheet and it has a LIFETIME guarantee. Its NOT the normal Green Pressure Treated Plywood. It is a Marine grade plywood that's treated with chemicals that won't hurt the aluminum like the PT stuff does.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Most laminating epoxies will work, you'll need to apply several coats. Penetrating epoxies don't work that well for this.

Most coatings don't hold up well enough to keep the plywood dry, so they work better with epoxy under them

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Spar varnish is about 10 steps lower on the scale when compared to epoxy, it's a high maintenance coating that needs to be reapplied to last very long. Not something you want buried under another coating or product.