ENTERPRISE FR16 (& now 4 something completly different)

clintwhitman

Cadet
Hello all,
Clint here in Castaic CA,
New guy on the forum! I have owned / restored a couple other boats in the past 40 years and my father inlaw has a 32' Bayliner twin diesels at LA Harbor and a 53" Hatteras fishing yacht in Puerto Vallarta so I have been up to my ears in boats at times. I like strange things so when looking for a boat this one grabbed me...
I have taken on a project boat and found one that looks more like a Corvair truck than most other boats. So far I have spent a few days cleaning her up and setting her straight, making her look like something I would own. Installing a Marine fuel-pump with oil pressure bypass circuit, Changing all the fluids, Lubing up all the linkages and moving parts. The power train is a Volvo Penta AQ130/c270. Not my favorite due to the PENTA parts pirates and the ridiculous fees they want for them! But so far I have not ran into anything I cant fix with a TIG welder and a stick of dynamite.
My question for the group is this. How many of these are out there? I have only seen one other post on fiberclassics about the company. This hull is built like a tank, dual foam filled fiberglass and it very thick. The design makes the boat seem like a 20' vessel. It has seating for 8 and lots of room to walk around in the back. Here are some shots of the boat when I found it. The gentleman I purchased the boat from handed me receipts for $3.5k in upgrades that he did to the boat, seats, paint, carpet, I have completed all the preliminary electrical and motor repairs and will be firing her up tomorrow (finger-crossed)

Well let me know your thoughts and I will post some pictures of the way she looks now!! 1974 ENTERPRISE FR16 40 years old, So I expect a glitch or two.

Thanks for looking, Clint (aveman Whitman

01414_tREpe37FG5_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• image_212319.jpg
    image_212319.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

clintwhitman

Cadet
Here is another shot of what drew me to this boat. You can have a party in the thing!!

image_212325.jpg

Last edited:

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
She sure is different from anything I've ever seen. Pretty cool if you ask me. Very neat find.
Good luck, hope she fires up for you.

hadaveha

Petty Officer 1st Class
wow I love to see something very unusual being save good luck

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hello all,
Clint here in Castaic CA,
New guy on the forum! I have owned / restored a couple other boats in the past 40 years and my father inlaw has a 32' Bayliner twin diesels at LA Harbor and a 53" Hatteras fishing yacht in Puerto Vallarta so I have been up to my ears in boats at times. I like strange things so when looking for a boat this one grabbed me...
I have taken on a project boat and found one that looks more like a Corvair truck than most other boats. So far I have spent a few days cleaning her up and setting her straight, making her look like something I would own. Installing a Marine fuel-pump with oil pressure bypass circuit, Changing all the fluids, Lubing up all the linkages and moving parts. The power train is a Volvo Penta AQ130/c270. Not my favorite due to the PENTA parts pirates and the ridiculous fees they want for them! But so far I have not ran into anything I cant fix with a TIG welder and a stick of dynamite.
My question for the group is this. How many of these are out there? I have only seen one other post on fiberclassics about the company. This hull is built like a tank, dual foam filled fiberglass and it very thick. The design makes the boat seem like a 20' vessel. It has seating for 8 and lots of room to walk around in the back. Here are some shots of the boat when I found it. The gentleman I purchased the boat from handed me receipts for $3.5k in upgrades that he did to the boat, seats, paint, carpet, I have completed all the preliminary electrical and motor repairs and will be firing her up tomorrow (finger-crossed)

Well let me know your thoughts and I will post some pictures of the way she looks now!! 1974 ENTERPRISE FR16 40 years old, So I expect a glitch or two.

Thanks for looking, Clint (aveman Whitman

Are those wheels part of the boat it does water and land? Only kidding. You sure have an interesting boat to say the least. Good luck let's see what comes of it.

Mark72233

Ensign
Clint love the boat. With all that room I hope you have room for one more to come aboard.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think you found the Cab Over truck of boats. That cockpit is massive!

clintwhitman

Cadet
Hey guys thanks for the reply s and kudos on the find " The ENTERPRISE"
Well after 7 full days of peeling away at the onion I got up yesterday with the intentions of having her running by the end of the day!! So started by checking the fuel flow and getting all the lines/filters installed. I had spent several hours cleaning out the two 20 gallon fuel tanks a few days ago, a future project will be to completely remove the tanks and rebuild the fuel gauge sensors. So I primed the carbs and gave her a whirl. She started and died, no bad noise, after a few attempts I determined the carbs, duel Solex were not dumping any fuel. So off with the tops and 4 hours later I had rebuilt the two carburetors. Lots of lime and crud in one of them from condensation and old gas had plugged the jets and float valve so I just did both. Very cool and simple carburetors. Second attempt she fired up!!! After a couple hours of running and adjusting, tightening some more bolts she seems to be water tight and running very good! she seem slow to come back to idol and is idling at 900 rpms. below that the alternator light comes on? After reading all the threads on these engines I cant believe it is running as good as it is.
For the Volvo fans out there here is the culprit 1974 AQ130c/270 Funny thing all the Volvo stickers were laying around in the bilge PB180001sm.jpg

clintwhitman

Cadet
Here is a shot I just took out in the driveway. Something Completely Different!!!! It reminds me of a Corvair Truck. Maybe I should install another spare tire on the other side... LOL PB180008sm.jpg

Last edited:

clintwhitman

Cadet
Awesome! Time for a quick splash?

Ya got see if she will pull her self around the lake!!! How exciting,
Check out the room, mind you this is a 16' boat. still didnt get the back seats in the view!! Back hatch is bilge stroage and the front is an ice chest / or my fish box!!!

PB180005sm.jpg

clintwhitman

Cadet
Cant wait to get her in the water motor sounds very strong. The universal is making a slight clicking sound so soon I will have to replace the upper bellows and universal but it is a slight clicking. Engaged the out drive and she shifts and runs smooth no sounds at all just a spinning prop...

CAPTAIN CLINTS HELM LOL
PB180007sm.jpg

clintwhitman

Cadet
Well today's task is to replace the bilge and blower switches on the dash board. They are not dependable. I have a few switches that light up when thrown they will make a better choice so off to the lake weed grinder... thanks again. Clint

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is an extremely cool looking boat. As a child of the 60's, I can appreciate the "hang ten" helm placement. Must rattle your fillings when you hit rough patches though, unless she's trimmed to put you way up in the air on plane.

Jeep Man

Commander
"But so far I have not ran into anything I cant fix with a TIG welder and a stick of dynamite"

Yeah, you'll fit right in on this forum. Welcome aboard. Really cool boat! Think I'll tag along on this one.

clintwhitman

Cadet
No Title

Well out on lake Castaic all day with the wife and the Enterprise today!! She ran like a champ, no water in the oil, No loud clunking, 35 mph at 5000 RPM (per new Lowrance HDI fish finder/GPS) Installed , 25 MPH winds and chop like victory at sea, the tri-hull didn't even miss a lick. what a fun boat!! Nothing like sitting right up in the bow watching the water rush under the boat. The ride was actually pretty normal and far as vibration. I think the tri-hull takes a lot of the bang out of the choppy water. She ran good but still needs a few little things
New exhaust pipe, (flange rot)
GAS Tanks pulled and sensors rebuilt.
Universal pulled and serviced.
Carburetors need a little work.
Was cruising the ski leg of the lake and saw a boil of bait fish. Threw a rubber chad and bang got a Jailbird! What a fun day and great little boat... at the end of the day she started idling high, then cutting out at top speed!! My wife was about to throw a fit. So I turned the motor off, grabbed a new fuel filter from the tool box and bang back on the water in two minutes, no problem,, I new it was going to plug up but my wife now thinks I am a mechanical guru!!!

Attachments

• photo212532.jpg
    photo212532.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0