Engine Winterizing ...does it do the exchanger to the hot water tank too?

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have twin 1985 OMC 3.8L Stringers.

The engine was flushed by a mechanic, but now in hindesite, I'm thinking about the hoses that run from the exhaust manifold to the hot water heater. Would that have been flushed during the engine flush or is it a separate process?

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine Winterizing ...does it do the exchanger to the hot water tank too?

I have twin 1985 OMC 3.8L Stringers.

The engine was flushed by a mechanic, but now in hindesite, I'm thinking about the hoses that run from the exhaust manifold to the hot water heater. Would that have been flushed during the engine flush or is it a separate process?

They have to be blown out prior to winterizing. What kind of mechanic did the work?- Dealer or "someone you know who is a mechanic"?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice link to Brown's Marina

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick replies. The person who did the work is a marine mechanic, where i dry docked my boat.

I had no idea how to do it and i'm not the handiest, so I asked around and this place came highly recommended for winterizing and storing the boats.
Being extremely inquisitive, I watched. After a 6NM run to the storage area by boat, he pulled it immediately and pushed coolant via mufflers through for a few minutes before fogging the engine. Maybe this is just where i am, but its apparently a common method.

Just going to review those links now. Plan on heading to the boat tomorrow and will be able to ask more questions of mechanic

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the quick replies. The person who did the work is a marine mechanic, where i dry docked my boat.

I had no idea how to do it and i'm not the handiest, so I asked around and this place came highly recommended for winterizing and storing the boats.
Being extremely inquisitive, I watched. After a 6NM run to the storage area by boat, he pulled it immediately and pushed coolant via mufflers through for a few minutes before fogging the engine. Maybe this is just where i am, but its apparently a common method.

Just going to review those links now. Plan on heading to the boat tomorrow and will be able to ask more questions of mechanic
It's the lazy man's way to winterization. How long did he run the engine before he fogged it? The reason I ask is because the t-stat must be fully open for the antifreeze to properly circulate thru the engine , etc. Being in Ontario, I hope for you're sake he did it right. I'm not saying he didn't, just my .02. And save you're receipt in case of problems come spring.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

There is quite a bit of "thanks, but I paid a guy and he said different, so I'm taking his advice" on any forum. It's to be expected in our culture where people tend to believe they get what they pay for. I hope those manifolds are ok. They are NLA. I would be draining them and the block.... open 4 drains and poke wire up there and then sleep peacefully.

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick follow up, I did go back to the boat and follow the browns marina technique to ensure i had antifreeze where it is needed.

All 4 drains were pure antifreeze and the pump hose was full too when i pulled it at the thermostat. As well as the hoses off the mainfold were full.
This is going to be a long winter I may not have any hair left come spring from worrying!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

that's awesome.
you will sleep much better on one of those -40 deg nights in January/February....