Engine tilt hoses

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm talking about this type of line (its not specifically mine, but its the idea for some clarity)
157905F-p.jpg

I want to replace all my engine trim hydraulic lines. The rubber coating is all cracked and the white braiding is showing over most of them.
Two hyrdaulic lines on each trim pump. I took a set off and gave them to a friend who said they make lines at work all the time and they could fab me a set up.

It's been about 3 weeks and they can't find the ends for them and one guy even said its a fuel line (which its not, because its hydraulic...I know...i took it off).

Anything special about these darn things? I was just hoping to have all metal ones made to replace them, clean, tidy and most importantly before I developed a leak.

OMC Hydraulic engine trim (the jacks that sit under the motor mounts)

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine tilt hoses

The end fittings are not standard hydraulic line fittings, nor are they "fuel line" fittings. You should be able to find brake line fittings that will work. I had a set of lines made up a few years ago at a local parts store. Finding them in stainless steel may be difficult.

Alternatively, you may find it easier to simply purchase the hoses online. They are not that expensive. Here's an example: http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndrive-Cobra-Power-Trim-Hoses/dm/view_id.269848
Of course, you'll need to reference specific part numbers or at least your application.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Solid lines on the inside of the boat are not a good idea.They usually end up breaking/cracking.
Look at the dealer.Any older stuff will fall apart quick.So be carefull what you buy.
And knowing what were working on helps too!!

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies guys.
Good logic on the solid line, I will make some calls to get my exact part number for my engines. I wouldnt want to buy something that doesnt fit. Unfortunately the boat is all wrapped up now for winter, so i dont have access to get the engine area to replace now until spring :(

Was there a reason they made the ends not hydraulic type? just to be difficult and force OEM purchase to replace?

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that I am on the hunt for hoses, I'm about to ask a question that i suspect may be really stupid. So PLEASE be gentler lol
Reminder of hoses: i'm looking to replace the 2 hoses that operate my engine tilt on each engine (4 hoses total).
1984 OMC 3.8L

I'm on the hunt for my part numbers. When i look at these hoses online there are different hoses for up vs down. What is the difference between them?

adimice

Seaman Apprentice

There's a guy in Beaufort S.C. that will duplicate any hydraulic line. Send him yours and you'll get back new ones. I've bought from him with good results. Beaufort Fluidline. 843-522-8899. They aren't cheap.

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i look at these hoses online there are different hoses for up vs down. What is the difference between them?

The "down" hoses attached to the outer end of the lift cylinders are longer than the "up" hoses.