engine stalls

thyroid

Recruit
have a 1983 80 hp merc thunderbolt will idle but when prop is engaged engine stalls

Bull54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: engine stalls

Well it could be electrical, ignition or carbs. I am thinking the pros on here will need a little more info from you about the problem. But having learned from this forum and all the great people on here, that you have to start in one area and just keep eliminating(testing) things until you find the source of your problem.

I am sure someone will be along to help you out.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I am also having the same troubles as you. I rebuilt the fuel pump but no difference.
The plugs seem wet with fuel mix. How do yours look?
I am going to replace a few crumbling wires. One has been shorting on an exposed bolt and I suspect its worse under any kind of load.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

How long since the carbs have been cleaned?

Idling with no load doesn't require much fuel, but the moment any load is applied the airflow thru the carb changes and idle fuel must be correct, a lean idle will not carry load.

As the carb 'ages' between cleanings, mineral begins to accumulate in the passages and jets from the fuel, gradually reducing fuel flow, until the mixture is reduced enough the operator begins to notice his motor isn't running quite as well as it should.

Some owners consider annual carb cleaning as regular maintenance to ensure a fine running motor throughout their boating season.

starkyb

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could just be something as simple as water in your fuel. If a water bubble gets in the carb it wont spark obviously. You can check and replace everything in your motor and neglect your fuel and still have problems. It is deceiving because you can put fresh gas but if the water is still in there you will have problems. Water will go to the bottom of the tank and get picked up by the intake hose in the tank. Fill your tank and put some Heet in it. It is a simple test that is easy and could be effective. I had problems with mine that were solved with this remedy.