Engine Removal Advice Please

63split63

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 Fourwinns 19' Horizon that I would like to pull out the motor. It is a Volvo Penta Chev 5.7 litre. How do I seperate the engine from the outdrive to remove it. I have been told that i have to remove the outdrive first and I do not know where to start. Any advice would be of help. Thanks

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Removal Advice Please

My first bit of advice would be to get some OEM service manual for your engine and drive. It's not hard to do, but it you don't yet know how to pull the drive you are going to run into biger probelms getting the enngine out. The manual will detail the connections step by step.<br /><br />It's more than just pulling the drive though. There's a retaining ring and other components that mount through the transom to create seals for all your connecting components<br /><br />M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If all you are trying to do is pull the engine, just get the drive off the transom shield. That gets the shaft out of the coupler on the engine.<br />From there it's remove the nuts on the rear mounts, remove the lag bolts holding the front mounts on. Disconnect fuel hose, water hoses, electrical cables, throttle cable. (and any other wires or cables) and lift it up out of the boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

may be nice to know what drive you have, the american drives have a different removal procedure from the swedish drives.<br /> its an alphabet soup but not hard once the drive is identified.<br /> why are ya pullin the motor ?

Don S

Good point rodbolt, I kind of forgot the LK models also used the DP-D models.<br />I was refering to the SX style (american style) drives not the DP-D (Swedish style).<br /><br />This chart should help you ID it.<br /><br /> Volvo Drive ID Chart

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DonS<br /> I heard a rumor that the swedish DP's were going away yet I see new ones on 05 carolina clasics.<br /> is the 290 style swedish drives going the way of the T-rex or what ?

63split63

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks , The drive is a Volvo Penta SX Cobra and the motor seems to be seized. I disconected all the belt drive components ( water pumps, power steering pump, alt ect ) and I cannot turn the engine . I bought it at auction so I have no history.<br />Thanks again Bill

KaGee

Admiral

Hey 63, try turning the engine over after you pull the drive, before you pull the engine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with KaGee,. next step is drive removal and retest.

Don S

You might also want to pull the spark plugs out and see if there is water in the cylinders. That could cause a hydroloc and prevent it from turning. However, if it's salt water and been there for a few days, you do need to junk the engine.

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

When your ready to reinstall, dont forget to align the engine with an alignment tool.