Engine Problem

cgmacll

Cadet
I have a 2003 merc 4.3L with a 2003 merc alpha one drive. I am doing the normal maintenance on it and have changed the distributor cap,the ignition sensor and a new rotor sensor wheel. The problem is that the motor will not start or run. It trys to start but will not. I did have to take the hole distributor out and I did not move or start the motor at all it is still in the position it was when I put the new parts in. does anyone know what I did wrong.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engiane Problem

Do you have spark?

Did you ckeck timing?

cgmacll

Cadet

yes the it has spark it sounds like it wants to start but don't.

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

this has to be something simple.
wondering if your plug wires are back on correctly?
check the firing order?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I did have to take the hole distributor out and I did not move or start the motor at all it is still in the position it was when I put the new parts in.

Did you have the rotor pointing in the same direction as it was before? If not, there is your problem.
One other note, changing the sensor is not a tuneup item. They get changed IF they go bad.

cgmacll

Cadet
Re: Engine Problem

I think! I put the distributor back in the right location. yes, you're are right you normally change parts because they are broke. In this case it was, because I broke it trying to get them out. I think that the timing is off and I need to re set it but I kinda know how. the old cap sensor and rotor have been in for at least 5 to 7 years and I Though that it was time to change them. I also can not find the manual on my engine again it is a 2003 V6 MerCruiser 4.3L 190hp and a alpha one drive. I need to know how to re set the timing.