Engine issue finally solved!

LubeDude

Admiral
Here is a link to the original thread.<br /><br /> Engine wont take fuel.<br /><br />Wow, this has been going on for allmost two years!!!!!!!!! <br /><br />Anyway, Its all better! <br /><br />After replacing the reeds, intake gasket, different carbs all together, rejetting for sealevel both Idle and main, timing set on both ends and getting everything link and synched, the engine runs so good Its unbeleivable. So thats what a Merc 150 is suppose to run like! <br /><br />Yes, Im estatic, but I still dont know what was the problem for sure???????????????????????? <br /><br />If I had to guess, I would say that it was a combination of several things.<br /><br />As things were today, it ran 55.2 GPS at 5,700 RPMs. Im going to do a bunch of testing later, but it runs strong right now. I do know that I need to raise my engine if I want the most I can squeeze out of it, but its just too much trouble right now. I also need to lighten up on the Smart Tabs.<br /><br />Im a happy camper because I didnt do all that work for nothing

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine issue finally solved!

Good to hear. Don't those black max's roar when they are running well. I love my max.

B.M.W II

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lubedude, I amy happy for you. you give me hope.I have a 1983 150 Black max that is doing almost the same thing.mine doest cut off,it just spits and sputters trying to get on plane.even if you stab it.but once its on plane it will run. took it out this weekend with G.P.S at 3/4 throttel and not fully trimed it will run 55mph.like you, i have been troubled with this for almost 2 years.i have done all the same things you have. stator,plugs,wires,cleaned carbs,filters,bulb and so on.with little difference in the performance of my motor.i hope i may learn from you problem.once again,congrats!

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks guys, its been a real struggle. It all could have been avoided if I wouldnt have thought myself so smart and just had the guy I bought it from iron it out before I bought it though. I was convinced that it was just old fuel when I bought it and I bought it running that way. :eek: Live and learn.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Lube dude.<br /><br />Glad you are estatic. Didn't know you had this basement project going. Grin<br /><br />Mark

KCLOST

Commander

Lube,<br /><br />Awesome, We need to make sure this and your previous post stay easily found...<br /><br />I have been wondering for a while what was going on... To bad we never actually "nailed" the problem. But at least we have a good idea....<br /><br />Fish your *** off!!!!

KCLOST

Commander

By the way Lube,,<br /><br />Why have you gone from 65mph at 6300+ rpms (if I remember corectly) to 55mph at 5700rpms... Are you just not pushing it as much, or have you re-propped, or are you just not getting the same output as a result of the carb change..<br /><br />Let us know... Interested...

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> By the way Lube,,<br /><br />Why have you gone from 65mph at 6300+ rpms (if I remember corectly) to 55mph at 5700rpms... Let us know... Interested...
I knew someone with a good memory would pick up on this. :rolleyes: Im thinking that if I remember right, that the best I ever got was with a four blade 25P and I think around 5,300-5,400 RPMs and around 63-64 MPH. <br /><br />Im at a bit of a loss myself. :confused: <br /><br />The early tests were done with an absolutly empty boat, not even any fishing seats were in it. I did find when I pulled the boat out this last time that I left the livewell plugs out and they were both full of water though, also, the boat is fully loaded now with a couple hundred pounds of other stuff and the fishing seats too.<br /><br />I have also messed with everything over the winter even the smart tab settings so we will start over eventually. Im just hoping to get a solid 60 MPH loaded. :cool:

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KCLOST:<br /> To bad we never actually "nailed" the problem. But at least we have a good idea....<br /><br />
If I had to guess, I think that besides the reed cages being badly worn, there was a bad spot in the intake manifold gasket on the bottom. Also, the top end timing was off 5 degrees. :eek:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

If I remember right, we have the same motor. Which carbs did you wind up using? I'm still running the WH-29 models.

LubeDude

Admiral

Now that they are on, I think that they were WH-30's. They were off of a 175 Mainer. The old ones were WH-33's. I jetted the 30's to 66, the 33's were jetted 64. I couldnt see any pysical differences in the two carbs.