Engine Hatch Switch

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I have an electric engine hatch ram with a relay box. I took the wires off the switch and cant remember where they go! Being a DPDT, where do the 2 wires hook up?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine Hatch Switch

DPDT switches are normally used for nav lights. But, whatever. Power terminates to the center positions. The "Open" wire will go to the bottom terminal. The "Close" wire to the top...

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, its a MO/Off/MO DPDT rocker. My nav lights are on a rotary 3 position. Thanks!

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess I'm not sure what you have. Normally on a DPDT either momentary or toggle there are at least three wires. one common and the others would be "up" and "down"

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, there are only 2 wires (Up and Down) going to the relays for the engine hatch. There are a lot of wires going to the switch, only one Red in the center position, along the same row are a single black and another single red. on the other row, center has nothing and there are several grouped wires, I've traced them to things like the hour meter and 12V accessory plug. It was working fine until I took out one of the batteries to charge it. When I put it back in all it does is blow the hatch fuses. I tried to isolate the switch by disconnecting everything (Before I ran them, thinking they all were for the hatch) now I'm just trying to get back to square one. It blows the fuse even with the actuator removed. I changed the relays thinking it might be a bad relay, no help. Its killing me! Its actualy "Simple" and I just dont see where the amps are coming from to blow the fuse. I think its time to completely start from scratch, just cant find a good diagram of the circuit. From what I see for this layout, I dont even need a DPDT, a SPDT should work fine due to the relays? Or I may go simple and take the box out of the equasion and run a DPDT wired for reversing polarity, direct to the Actuator.