Engine dies won't restart

MKY9

Recruit
I have a 1979 Christ Craft Catalina with twin 350's The starboard engine will die after running for a period of time, won't start, then after 15 minutes will start. The first incident occurred when I was docking the boat, I put the starboard engine into reverse, it died and didn't restart at all The second time was after a complete tune up. The engine ran for 20 minutes at the dock. When I turned it off and attempted to re start it, she didn't start. After attempting on and off for 15 minutes it started. I turned it on and off again and it was fine. I changed the fuel filters, oil, spark plugs, cap n rotor. When she's running it runs like a dream no issues, but when it dies, its a no go, any ideas??

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Could be a few things. A few that quickly come to mind is fuel pressure/pump, carb float, or even vapor lock.

MKY9

Recruit
Could be a few things. A few that quickly come to mind is fuel pressure/pump, carb float, or even vapor lock.
the second time, when it wouldnt restart at the dock, I hit it with a little starting fluid to see if it would fire and it didnt even bump, still thinking fuel issue?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If it won't fire using starting fluid in the carb, you have zero spark.

MKY9

Recruit
absolutely, the previous owner installed electronic ignitions and it started up the second time it died after 15 minutes, is there a switch or something telling it not to fire. the first time it ran fine for 2 hours, I put it into reverse and it died, wouldnt restart

MKY9

Recruit
the second time, when it wouldnt restart at the dock, I hit it with a little starting fluid to see if it would fire and it didnt even bump, still thinking fuel issue?
thanks for the quick reply!!

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure that there is 12 volts to coil.If there is a resistor,it should be removed.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
MerCruiser sterndrives have ign kill switches on the shifting mechanisms. They can get stuck leaving a no spark condition.

Not sure if inboards have those.

mr 88

Commander
Do you have points or is it a Mercruiser with its own setup ? Has it been converted to a Petronix ignition system ? You could have a wire connection that is starting to go bad/corrosion and works intermittingly . Could be a distributor module going bad. Inboards do not have a momentary kill switch when shifting gears. They do have a neutral safety that only allows it to be started in neutral. Sounds like a ignition module going, a bad wire connection or the coil failing when it gets hot. Good thing you have a working engine that you can swap out parts with. Start with the coil and see if the problem shifts to the other engine. Same thing with the other ignition parts. Do one at a time so you can isolate it.