Engine alignment tool

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So after reading Dons sticky on winterization I realize that I should be checking my engine alignment when my drive is off. Question is how do a aquire such an alignment tool. I have a 1997 5.7L gli VP Sx.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine alignment tool

Right here at iboats, Ebay, almost anywhere thet sell Merc. parts...Google it:rolleyes:

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The tools that I am finding say they are for the merc. Will the merc tool also work on the VP ?

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Boy, sorry about that:D. I didn't read it close enough to realize it was a Volvo...too excited that it's Friday I guess. I have read that many people use the input shaft to align that, but I'm not sure why:rolleyes:

Someone else will be along and explain, I'm sure.

Edit; Thanks Boat Teck

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to use an input shaft. You don't want splines.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i found a drawing for an alignment tool on the internent. It was for the 3.0 merc, which is what i have. I happen to be a machinist so i made it. Very simple, if you know a machinist, or someone with a lathe, you could get it made.

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input. I am noticing that the ones that I have found are around a hundred bucks, seems pretty steep for a piece of steel stock. But I guess thats how it goes with special tools. Probably alot cheaper than fixing the damage if its not aligned. I have had the drive out I think four times since Ive had the boat. Would I have noticed that it was difficult to remove or reinstall if the alignment was out ?

fisherman73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool ! thanks I ordered one. Shipping seems pretty outrageous to me, 20 bucks additional but still alot better than 100 bucks plus shipping. Thanks again for all the info

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you get it, you will realize why its $20....very heavy.

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can the alignment go out during normal seasonal operation?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sagging of the stringers...compression of the mounting hardware...

Very slight changes can throw it way out of whack.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can the alignment go out during normal seasonal operation?

An example:

I have a 5 year old Cobalt boat/Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi DP that a dealer was maintaining for the first 3 years (supposedly pulled the drive each year for winterization and appropriate checks etc..). Last fall I pulled the drive myself for the first time and purchased an alignment tool. It was all I could do to get it to attempt to slide in the coupler. I had to literally lower the front engine mounts near 1/2 inch for a perfect alignment. Pulled the drive again just last weekend for winterization and the alignment was still perfect.

I have no idea if the dealer ever made any adjustments or even ever checked it,, or - it was either bad from the factory or the mounts really compressed over the few years.. Bottom line, it can change and needs to be checked. I was amazed that the/my coupler had survived given the offset.

For the OP, I probably purchased the same tool as you for my VP DP. Approx $50 with shipping. Yes it is heavy and be sure to coat it with grease or oil while storing otherwise it will rust.

Good luck