Emptying carbs during inactivity

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice
I thought it would be a good idea to empty the carbs while I'm not using the boat for any length of time. Would pinching off the fuel lines and running it until it dies be OK? The only problem I can foresee is that it's essentially running it lean for a minute or two and it might weaken the fuel lines after a few pinchings. The motor in question is a 1979 Mariner 115 inline 6 on a 1980 Jetster boat. The fuel tank is installed permanently so disconnecting the source isn't really feasible.
Thanks
Scotty

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Emptying carbs during inactivity

In my opinion that is a waste of time as you never get all the fuel out of the carbs. Put some Sea Foam in the fuel then run it a while to be sure it gets in the carbs.

scottybm1

Seaman Apprentice

I put a can of Seafoam in every-other tank anyway, I have since I purchased the boat. It seems to run better every time I drive it. It had sat for almost 25 years so I'm sure there was some buildup in the carbs that's slowly going away.

hawkf250

Seaman

I would NEVER run the carbs dry as there is alwys going to be a minimal anount of fuel left in the bottom and it will actuall rot faster, typically the high speed jets are located at the bottom of the bowl and will pulg them quickly. i recomend using a good fuel stabilizer like Stabil when your putting it up for a while, fill the tank and tp it off to keep water condensation out of it, the add the appropriate amount of Stabil to it then run the motor for about ten to twenty minutes to e sure that it get into the carbs real good. Then your good to go.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I just add stabil to all my gas tanks and never have a problem.
Oh yeah, i don't run the gas out of my carbs. As said above you can't all the gas out.