Embarrassing photos of trailer wheels

DaNinja

Lieutenant
Re: Embarrassing photos of trailer wheels

With the trailer for the most part sitting or dropping the boat off 100 yards at most to the ramp, you really can see how the moisture took its toll on the parts over time.

Note to self, move the trailers off the grass.

Maybe I added to it by throwing two different boats in the original posts.

The Starcraft is in Missouri at the lake. I would be surprised if the trailer has 200 miles on it. That is my brake job.

The SeaRay is in Texas and that is the old tire photos. The lake there is about ten miles away with highway driving. The SeaRay was kept out in the backyard, so you are right. I need to do better about keeping those tires off the grass and shielding them from the Texas sun.

Good info being shared. I hope others are learning, as well.

Last edited:

jtw37

Seaman Apprentice

Good info. The tires on the Texas SeaRay came from a national brand store, but that did make me think about where the clock starts. Thanks.

I just got a boat and trailer in the last month and after reading this, it's time to look at the tires and all included. I do have a question about the tires. They (Dealers) sell both Bias-Ply and Radials. I know opinions will vary, but I'd like to know which tire seems to handle the boat/trailer better? Then I guess it could depend on how much weight you are carrying on the trailer. Mine being an 88 Aluminum boat of roughly 600 lbs. It's a nice trailer and fairly well kept, which I'm assuming because of lack of use. Anyway, tires is my question.

Bring it home 1.jpg

Last edited:

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Tire age is something I learned about recently. As with most things in life if it's to good to be true then it isn't. Seems obvious now but when tire stores offer you a great deal it's cause they are old stock that's been sitting around aging for years.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Ok, new backing plates are installed on the Starcraft trailer. Also rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced a couple of brake lines.

Any tips for how tight the hub or drum bolt should be?
I was thinking torque it down a bit beyond hand tight and then back it off. It was about finger tight when I took it off.
Backing plate is adjusted all the way in and still has just a faint drag to it.

Drum pic was before I removed it. I take pictures every step in case a job take longer than my memory to reassemble. :D

Attachments

• 100_1338 (640x480).jpg
    100_1338 (640x480).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1364 (640x480).jpg
    100_1364 (640x480).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0