elgin coil

baja boss

Cadet
need acoil for a 54 elgin model 571.58211 serial 211.2101 could also use a plug wire and boot.points look good. does a condenser go bad?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: elgin coil

Keep an eye on ebay, but elgins don't list very often parts wise.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Years ago I swapped a coil only from an omc armature to a merc.It has been many years so my brands may be confused.But I swapped them and it worked.
I do remember I cut sheet metal spacers because the
coil didn't fit just right.
Your motor was built by West Bend so a West Bend coil
may work as well.
West Bend didn't sell in the US until 55.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Elgins of that era used Wico ignition parts. Sierra made a replacement coil for a number of years, but I don't see it in my catalog anymore. However, as Spike noted, you can swap in an OMC coil, but you have to press out the OMC laminates and press the coil onto the Wico laminates. This does not work on all Wico magnetos (.ie for larger motors) but will work on many of the smaller ones. I did one of these this spring on a '56 Elgin 5.5 and it worked beautifully. I didn't have to shim this one at all. OMC used two different coil laminate thicknesses for a lot of years, which may account for Spikes recollection of shimming the coil to fit. The currently available replacement coils (Sierra #18-5181/OEM #582995) are all the same size.

For the wire, use standard solid metallic core wire, available by the foot at NAPA, small engine shops, etc. They'll also have the proper sparkie boot. Some care is needed in routing the spark plug wire out of the OMC coil, as it exits in a different spot (horizontally) than the original coil (vertically).
- Scott

baja boss

Cadet

steelespike said:
Years ago I swapped a coil only from an omc armature to a merc.It has been many years so my brands may be confused.But I swapped them and it worked.
I do remember I cut sheet metal spacers because the
coil didn't fit just right.
Your motor was built by West Bend so a West Bend coil
may work as well.
West Bend didn't sell in the US until 55.

baja boss

Cadet

Chinewalker said:
The Elgins of that era used Wico ignition parts. Sierra made a replacement coil for a number of years, but I don't see it in my catalog anymore. However, as Spike noted, you can swap in an OMC coil, but you have to press out the OMC laminates and press the coil onto the Wico laminates. This does not work on all Wico magnetos (.ie for larger motors) but will work on many of the smaller ones. I did one of these this spring on a '56 Elgin 5.5 and it worked beautifully. I didn't have to shim this one at all. OMC used two different coil laminate thicknesses for a lot of years, which may account for Spikes recollection of shimming the coil to fit. The currently available replacement coils (Sierra #18-5181/OEM #582995) are all the same size.

For the wire, use standard solid metallic core wire, available by the foot at NAPA, small engine shops, etc. They'll also have the proper sparkie boot. Some care is needed in routing the spark plug wire out of the OMC coil, as it exits in a different spot (horizontally) than the original coil (vertically).
- Scott

baja boss

Cadet

i had heard early 50 s omc coil may work. i may stop by napa with those part numbers to see if they can help.thanx for the free information.

baja boss

Cadet

thanx for the info,steelespike. i havent been to a omc dealer yet.i didnt know that the coil could be removed from the laminates.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Like I said it has been many years but as I recall the coil is a snug fit and I believe I straightened a couple of tabs
and slid it off.You could also try laings outboards for parts.West Bend was purchased by Chrysler c. 1964.
It a real stretch but maybe early chrysler/late West Bend coils may work.

baja boss

Cadet

hey guys,i got a coil from laings outboards along with a condenser.i think i may be able to weld with this thing. thanx for all of your help.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Laings get rave reviews from most of us on finding the old stuff in stock.