Electrical Woes... What Am I Missing???

AgTires4295

Seaman
1981 Johnson 35 and I am not getting a spark. In the provided photos, theres a female plug dangling and a (what I perceive to be) relay thats missing a connection (maybe?).

I have no clue what Im looking at here. Simplicity is not the name of the game with this outboard.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The white switch is the " start in nuetral only " switch.----It has provision for 2 wires but only needs one, so nothing missing there.----The other plug is for a feed to the coils from the CDI box I believe.------It appears a newer set of coils is used and perhaps a newer switch box as well.-----Where does the other end of the dangling plug go ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Agreed, that 3-pin plug connects the coils to the power pack, and you certainly won't have fire with it unplugged. Wonder why it is unplugged anyway???

AgTires4295

Seaman
Well I finally was able to get back out to the outboard and found the wiring to connect to the plug. It was tangled in other wires and I must have overlooked it (THANKS!). Im not sure why it was unplugged. I plugged it all back up and dripped some mixed fuel in the carb and it wanted to fire! That's enough to make my day!

My next hurtle is finding a replacement fuel pump filter (or cap). I cant find just the cap without buying an entire fuel pump assembly. Is there a specific part number or direction anyone is able to point me in? I dont know why the previous owner cut the fuel line and robbed the filter cap...

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The part you are missing is part number 0433518. And the screw is part number 0330061.

Last edited: