Electrical question re: late 80's and early 90's crossflow v-4

ryguy1101

Seaman
I feel stupid asking this question, but do these engines require BOTH the water cooled voltage regulator unit that mounts to the top of the engine AND the rectifier diode that mounts next to the electrical bus bar on the starboard side of the engine? For some reason I was under the impression that around 1987-1988 the water cooled unit on top replaced the small triangular diode on the side which I thought performed the same function for older engines. However, I recently saw a photo of a similar generation powerhead that appears to have both?? I don't have model number, but my engine is a 1988 Johnson 110 in case that matters.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electrical question re: late 80's and early 90's crossflow v-4

These engines came with either one or the other. In 1987 the engines without power trim (the 88 models) came with the rectifier only. Those engines which had power trim (90/100/115) all came with the water cooled combination regulator/rectifier. In 1988 they changed their parts descriptions very slightly. All 88 models use the rectifier only, while the 90/100/110 all used the combination regulator/rectifier. You did not ask, but there is also a difference in the stator amp output between these models. The 6 amp stator was on the non-power trim engines (the 88), the 9 amp on the ones with trim. The 88 hp models were marketed as a lower cost alternative V4 to the 90/115 models. The electrical system used lower capability electrical components, the engine never had a VRO pump, and power trim was not standard (an option.) All to offer a more inexpensive product that still provided the customer with great value.

Last edited:

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1988 Johnson 110 (J110TLCCA) and it doesnt have triangular diode on the side.

ryguy1101

Seaman

Excellent. Thank you both for the helpful responses! Now back to troubleshooting my tach/voltage issues! :confused: