Electrical problem with rockers and gauges

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently started experiencing a problem with the gauges and rocker switches in my 2000 175 Seaswirl with a Volvo penta 3.0. When I flip any of the rocker switches on, the engine alarm sounds, the gauges go crazy, the switch light does not come on and the accessory doesn't work (this is with the engine on or off). I checked all of the obvious things like a bad ground, but was stumped. I did notice that the blower rocker switch light would flicker momentarily when the switch was flipped, so I started playing with the switch and slowly rocked the switch back and forth until the light stayed on and voila! The light stayed on and everything was good again.

My question is: could a bad rocker switch cause all those problems? I hope it's as simple as that.

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Electrical problem with rockers and gauges

I replaced the switch yesterday and everything is back to normal. :)

TregoMark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:

Just wanted to add an update on my electrical problem. The rocker unfortunately was not the issue. I found a corroded ground on the engine. It was in a difficult to see location, but after it was cleaned up - no more problems! Everything has been fine for the last three months, so that must have been it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

It is sort of amazing that one single connection point can cause as much trouble as it often dose.

:) basic rule of thumb: if you turn on a switch and something else goes nuts 99% of the time its the ground/negative wire.