electric vs. surge

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i just bought a new trailer a 2001 loadright i love the trailer and how it tows{has surge brakes}and how well it stops but i heard somewhere i forget where that soon all trailers will have electric brake and it will be a law to have them does this mean i have to change mine over or are they like grandfathered in

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: electric vs. surge

Ahoy, SeaRay. I haven't heard a thing about the rumor you mention, and it doesn't make sense.<br /><br />I consider surge brakes superior to electrics with the one nuisance that they don't work when backing up. Under emergency conditions as long as they don't lock up the wheels they are great.<br /><br />If I was going to make laws about trailer brakes, first I would require brakes on all trailers over about 1,000lb gross, then I would require a breakaway lockup feature.<br /><br />I think there is potential to greatly improve electric brakes with computer control, but for now I prefer surge brakes.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too have heard of no movement to make electric brakes manditory. In the marine enviroment surge brakes are much more trouble free. If you use your trailer in salt water be sure to flush the brakes well with fresh water after every dip in the salt. <br /><br />Most newer surge brakes have a back-up lockout which eliminates the problem of brake lock up when backing. All surge brakes have a breakaway lock up feature that works well, if you hook up the cable.<br /><br />Don't worry about the surge brakes, just maintain them.

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanx for the input i agree about surge being the best for trailers like this my old trailer had 10 years of it when i ramped my old boat no problems my new one is used twice a year now that i dock this boat and hope i get 10 years outta these and ill be happy