electric shift stringer outdrive impeller change out. (Any tips for a first timer?)

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have the 1974 190hp stringer outdrive mated to a 302 Ford. I did buy a service manual. All literature aside, how difficult of a job is it? I consider myself a pretty darn good auto mechanic, as well as motor cycles and small equipment. I haven't worked on marine equipment much until the last 8 months. I think I want to tackle this important maintenance procedure myself. What do I need to watch for? Any specific tools or gasket makers needed? I know to buy the whole kit, not just the impeller. Just looking for a few tips y'all! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Nope. It's pretty easy if you follow the manual.

I highly suggest you take the drive off. It's much easier that way, IMHO. Mind the shift cables when removing the drive.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see your set-up is very similar to mine southkogs, how often do you change yours? I was told by a local boat mechanic that these units are actually very durable, and last longer than most others. (I'm still doing it) Are there any alignment issues when trying to re-install the outdrive?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I had my stringer, I always made sure the 2 ball gears mated up exactly how I took them off. Not sure how important that is but I wasn't going to take a chance.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ha ha ha! Bruce, I'm just that anal too. I'll be marking everything with a sharpie, taking pictures, marking bolts, etc,. etc.

southkogs

Staff member
I do the impeller about once every two years - humorously, that's been because I've had something else fail each year that takes me into that portion of the drive for some reason or another. Otherwise, I'd let it go out to 3 and see what shape the impeller is in. Each time I pull 'em, they look nearly new (which doesn't always mean much).

Unlike Bruce, I am a mediocre mechanic on my best days ... I've never worried about lining up the ball gears. I've been told it really doesn't matter, and so far hasn't seemed to.

The Stringer is a funny critter. It's a pretty robust system on the overall, and when you figure that my unit is 40 years old and still runnin' that shows some moxie. They can be finicky though, and they know when you're not looking. You have to stay on top of 'em, and that means you're constantly needing to do maintenance, check for water invasion, etc., etc. They're probably a little over engineered in some regards, and that has an effect too. It'll make a mechanic outta' ya'.

On the plus side though: I like the fact that the power is delivered to the stringers as opposed to the transom. At least in terms of hull noise and vibration, my boat is SIGNIFICANTLY more quiet than the newer I/Os I've been on of a similar size. At low speeds (especially no wake) I also believe I've got tighter steering and better control than the newer I/Os.

The electric shift has a bad reputation, but to be honest - I've never owned anything but electric shift outboards and (now) a stern drive. And that is the only part that has never given me an ounce of trouble on any of the units. All my problems have been in the upper gear case or short in a wire harness. I think the ES shifts more smoothly in and out of gear, and I think you get a more instant power application (very helpful when maneuvering at slow speeds). So, to be honest I really like it.

Would I tell ya' to go out and intentionally look for a 40 year old electric shift? Probably not. Would I suggest you buy one when there's a comparable boat with a Merc sittin' available? Probably not. But, I'm not afraid of the drives and if you have one you can keep 'em runnin' very nicely.

strikemike

Seaman
You have to be very careful with the shift-cable. remove them slowly. then pull the drive with two people. it takes only 15 Minutes to pull the Drive. I did that some weeks ago and i'am still fighting with some Bolts from the upper gear case with the impeller inside... :(

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You have to be very careful with the shift-cable. remove them slowly. then pull the drive with two people. it takes only 15 Minutes to pull the Drive. I did that some weeks ago and i'am still fighting with some Bolts from the upper gear case with the impeller inside... :(

I guess I don't understand why it's such a big issue. On mine you just disconnected the two wires and you are done.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yeah , lots of good pointers in here. You will have no issues with it , its fairly straight forward.

definately remove the drive , you can have the drive off in 10 minutes and it makes it a much easier process. Plus that give you a reason to clean out the pivot points and regrease them, same for the drive shaft in the upper.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I know type C Gear lube in the lower unit, but I was told that Type C is a bit too lightweight for the upper. What were/are y'all running in yours?

southkogs

Staff member
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I know type C Gear lube in the lower unit, but I was told that Type C is a bit too lightweight for the upper. What were/are y'all running in yours?
You definitely need Type C in the lower - if availability and cost are the same, then you can use it in the other cases too.

I have a hard time gettin' hold of Type C, so I use whatever is on the shelf at the local shops for my upper and my intermediate.

southkogs

Staff member
... Do you use synthetic?
Only when I want a forum topic to go on forever :pound:

... I usually get the stuff HERE from iBoats. I change mine out at least twice per season (I've been told by some to do it even more often), so I figure nearly anything will work.

southkogs

Staff member
Where do you disconnect these two wires?
Port side, there should be two wires coming through your intermediate housing that lead to knife connectors. Roughly here on my boat:

Undo the knife connectors, and the wires will slide through the intermediate and go with the stern drive.

southkogs

Staff member
You're welcome. It's well worth it to get a shop manual for your drive: I've needed it quite a bit.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have the shop manual. Nothing beats advise from folks with hands on experience though!