Edge 70# 24V Trolling Speeds

cub48

Seaman
Hi Guys I have a edge 24Volt 70 lb thrust trolling motor. My problem is it don't have enough go power LOL In calm water you have to run it on 3 setting to tell you are moving . this is a 17 ft fiberglass boat 70lb u should not have a problem on power.
if the wind is blowing may have to run on 4, then when when you put it on 5 it runs so fast you can hardly control it, Batteries are good just replaced one yesterday and charged system. All speeds work they just don't seem to be the speed they should be. Is this normal for a edge or do i have a problem! Cub48

cub48

Seaman
Re: Edge 70# 24V Trolling Speeds

Some of the time i do some of the time i don't. Well here is a comparison i had a 12v Motor Guide 45 lb thrust. It would run my boat as fast or as good as my MK 24v 70 lb thrust. Like when it is on 1 u can not tell it is on unless u look at prop and it is turning awful slow. I like MK but have not been very happy with the edge. Next question is will the motor off a Max fit a Edge?

does the 70lb have a selector switch for 12/24 on the peddle and how many wires are on the batteries and where are they attached

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Measure the voltage at the motor PLUG to ensure the motor is seeing 24 volts. You do have two batteries wired in series as shown below -- correct? And you have had both of them load tested to ensure you have two "good" batteries. And you have inspected the wiring to make sure it is the proper size (#8 minimum) and terminations are proper.

cub48

Seaman

Sorry about being slow to reply. Yes it has 24v at plug both batteries are good just replaced one and the other is good, it is #8 wire and terminals are good this trolling motor is only 1 1/2 years old don't have 12/24 switch. I have to run it on 3( has 1-5 switch) to troll at all put it on high and it will move on as it supposed to put it on 1 or 2 and you can not tell you are moving the prop is turning, with a 70 lb 24v and a 17-6 boat it should be trolling at fishing speed on 1, i am also talking about calm water no wind. Really before i put this trolling motor on i had a 45 motor guide 12v it would do as good as this 24v does. not a motor guide fan but was compare motor to motor. It will run on 3 for 5 hours before you will notice any battery drop then it has to be a windy day. Thank for the replys Cub48