edelbrock for a 5.7l marine power

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, I want to swap out my Holley600cfm for an Edelbrock Performer. Ive heard I it's s a pretty straight forward swap. Do I stick with a 600cfm Performer? Any suggestions.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: edelbrock for a 5.7l marine power

Did some quick research on here and right off the bat, I think I answered my own question. The 1409 looks to be the trick. Looks like I would just have to redo the fuel line a bit. Looks to be an easy DIY?

Walt T

Lieutenant

Won't make an iota of difference. Save your cash.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Won't make an iota of difference. Save your cash.

Wow........ you where able to determine that by what little info the OP provided.........

Maybe his holley is fubar..........if so replacement would make a huge difference

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, thanks for the opinions. My carb isnt fubar, ive had it tuned and checked by my trusted mechanic last year. Reason being is a few people on another forum with basically the same boat and the exact same engine have made the swap and noticed significant differences in response, hesitation and (the more hard to prove) power. Personally, I just want better response and maybe a litle better cold starting (and please dont go there about choke adjustments). I admit I am being a little picky and could easily just let things be but thats just not in my nature I guess. $400 isnt much IMO to get these things and I understand that I may not see much but hey...ive spent more $$$ on things that gave me less return...Im a boat owner!

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Just out of curiosity, is there something wrong with the Holley? There are nothing wrong with either carb. But if your a motorhead a Holley carb tunes much better than an edelbrock. And as long a properly tuned, an engine with a Holley will be much snappier.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. What I can say is that after a cold start, I have to stab the trottle a few times when idling so it wont die when I put it in reverse. I expect to have to stab it before I start it, but not after. It also gets a little picky at times when warm when I go to start it again after sitting for like 10 min. Its like the bowl looses gas or something. Not sure as Im not an expert. Its more of an annoyance than anything. Ive checked the float level in the primary and its perfect. Ive also had it cleaned and tuned as I mentioned before. I get the feeling thats just how it is. I also just found it inter3sting that someone with the same setup noticed significant improvement after their swap.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

With out trying to turn this thread into a "which carb is better thread" cause that will almost always be based on opinion only.......

My opinion is a Holley is a race carb and it does that job very good.......the edelbrock is a much more forgiving carb in a non race setup........

Of coarse there will be those that will say I am full of crap and have no idea what I'm talking about.....

JustJason

Vice Admiral

I dont think there is necessarily anything wrong with it. What I can say is that after a cold start, I have to stab the trottle a few times when idling so it wont die when I put it in reverse.

If your "stabbing" it to keep it going then what you are doing is injecting fuel via the accelerator pump circuit in order to keep it going. If the engine wants to die unless you give it fuel. First, check to make sure your ignition is up to snuff, and that your timing is dead nuts, and that the cap/rotorplugs/wires are clean. Ignition problems can look like fuel problems to the untrained eye. But after that, sounds like your idle circuits are mucked up, the carb is clogged, or the idle speed is set to low.

Silverton34c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, I want to swap out my Holley600cfm for an Edelbrock Performer. Ive heard I it's s a pretty straight forward swap. Do I stick with a 600cfm Performer? Any suggestions.

I have edelbrocks on my twin 350's...no complaints

Walt T

Lieutenant
Midcarolina does have a valid point. A lot of times guys swap out carburetors then swear up and down it gave them way more power, better holeshot, better top speed, made wife's boobs bigger, etc. I would then submit that the original carb was fubar. However he states it is actually ok except for minor acceleration problem. A carburetor all by itself of the same or larger cfm won't necessarily give you more power. It may get you crisp acceleration better mid range performance simply because it's new and you're used to an older carb that has deteriorated over time and now you have original performance. As for top end if the engine can actually use the extra cfm available it may give you a mile an hour or two of top speed. A 600 cfm carb is nearly double what a 5.7 at 5000 rpm actually uses. Simply adding a larger carb will not automatically make it faster. It may actually drop acceleration performance if you go to a carb with larger primaries. If going to a bigger carb and a performance manifold were so magical they'd come from the factory that way or offer it as an option. While you may increase HP a little, maybe 25 hp it wont make any difference on a boat because of the load the engine is under anyway. Automotive improvements don't apply to boats for the most part. Any one who says major performance increase with a manifold and carburetor is either: Had a poorly performing engine to begin with, Or has a very small and light boat with a 5.7, Or is talking out his rear end, Or is mistaking his car for a boat. Not trying to flame anyone and if he claims better performance well we aren't on the boat and he knows his boat. I'm just offering information and a little humor.