Easy transom question

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks out to everyone for your input on this it has helped. As it has been discussed and proven before there are good ways of doing things and then there are even better ways to do the same thing.

On this project it's also a matter of cost effectiveness. In this case the cost of repairs is going to be more than what I paid for the boat no matter which direction I go. This thing is pretty beat up, a lot of small dents everywhere and is never going to be a beauty queen so it makes no sense in trying to make it one. But from what I've learned of it already it's still a solid hull and there are no leaky rivets. I will make for a good stump bumper on the river though and be able to get back into the sloughs where the bigger Alumacraft wont go..

This whole thought start by knowing that I would have to buy a whole sheet of ply to accomplish this repair which brought me to the idea of using 1/4" laminated together so I could use up the whole sheet. Then after going through this whole exercise I've learned or discovered that I can use one whole sheet of 3/4" to accomplish 2 projects. Even more cost effective! Some times it pays to procrastinate.

Anyways, again I'd like to thank everyone for helping me think this through. I will post up some picture for you all as I go.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
So I picked up some plywood today from Menards. The 1/2" I got was Arauco 5ply but the 3/4 was a different manufacturer. It is 7 ply ACX and looks pretty good. The C side has a narrow, long void on each end and the A side is very clean. As I recall it comes from the same mill as their marine ply. Which I looked thru 7 sheets of the 3/4" marine ply and couldn't fine one sheet that had a good face with nice grain. So I guess the thought of staining and varnishing the wood on the Alumacraft has fallen to the wayside.

As a side note while selecting the 1/2" Arauco I came across one sheet that was delaminating between the second and third ply from the A side.

Now I've got the transom inside piece cut and ruff fitted into the boat today. Tomorrow I hope to get the holes all drilled, sanded and sealed and still need to pick up new hardware. Should be able to get a few pictures tomorrow also. Still need to cut an exterior piece as that is how the original design was from what I've seen in the brochures.