early vs late Cobra bellows.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am about to do a BAD thing..... I am going to look at a 1995 Four Winns with the later Volvo based Cobra drive. In the interests of sourcing parts, I have been looking for the consumables, namely the bellows.... as god knows how long its been since its been changed, and he isnt telling anyone. On another site (with good exploded diagrams) the only bellows shown specifies as for a dog clutch (earlier) Cobra drive.... This would be a Volvo (cone clutch) drive... is there a difference, or are they they same part number. Looking at a later model drive shows the same part numbers, and comments....

as for the boat, its your typical older boat... Floor however appears SOLID, and carpet original, so that is a bonus... I would actually get to enjoy it for a few years before getting covered in fiberglass dust for a change... A fuel pump, a battery, and all the consumables is what I am planning on, PO calls the pump bad, but will start if fuel is dribbled into the carb...

and yes, for those that will say RTFM.... I just bought a full set for that year. :D

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think at one time the dog clutch Cobra & the SX Cobra which was later called the Volvo SX used the same exact part for the bellows. Then at some point Volvo changed the part to a different style with a stiffer center section.
On the 1995 I’d use whatever OEM bellows BRP sells for that model. Having said that does this boat have EFI? If so be aware many of those parts for older OMC/Volvo engines are NLA. As are ignition modules for the Prestolite BID electronic ignition.
What this means is that if you had the EFI system & have problems you might not be able to source parts & then would be stuck having to convert back to a carb. Not the worst thing in the world but then it’s an extra cost (cast iron 4 bbl intake; Holley 4bbl & associated parts). There were a few people on here who had to do just that. If it has a carb then good the only concern is that electronic ignition system unless it has the Delco EST. Not sure what year OMC/Volvo changed over to the EST from the Prestolite.
Mines old enough that I have a Prestolite points distributor & the 4 bbl Quadrajet. I have spare parts for the Prestolite (advance springs etc) and points/condenser sets are easy to find.
Just a FYI.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS checked just to see, that the BRP part number for the driveshaft bellows is the same for the dog clutch drives (86-93) and joint venture drives (94-98) part number 3854127

ScottinAZ

I think at one time the dog clutch Cobra & the SX Cobra which was later called the Volvo SX used the same exact part for the bellows. Then at some point Volvo changed the part to a different style with a stiffer center section.
On the 1995 I’d use whatever OEM bellows BRP sells for that model. Having said that does this boat have EFI? If so be aware many of those parts for older OMC/Volvo engines are NLA. As are ignition modules for the Prestolite BID electronic ignition.
What this means is that if you had the EFI system & have problems you might not be able to source parts & then would be stuck having to convert back to a carb. Not the worst thing in the world but then it’s an extra cost (cast iron 4 bbl intake; Holley 4bbl & associated parts). There were a few people on here who had to do just that. If it has a carb then good the only concern is that electronic ignition system unless it has the Delco EST. Not sure what year OMC/Volvo changed over to the EST from the Prestolite.
Mines old enough that I have a Prestolite points distributor & the 4 bbl Quadrajet. I have spare parts for the Prestolite (advance springs etc) and points/condenser sets are easy to find.
Just a FYI.
cool on the bellows. Just wanted to be sure before ordering. This boat has the 4.3 chevy motor with a Holley 2bbl carb (stock). so no need to worry about the damn ancient EFI crapping out. I figure worst case, if the distributor module goes belly up, Ill find an older marinized HEI type distributor for it, and be done with it.... I dont think the 4.3 is old enough to have had points..... or I would go with that (practically idiotproof if you know how to set them up.)

Just got back from picking it up. Its a 1995 Four Winns 170. Floors are surprisingly solid (my 350 pound self can dance on them with no creaking, so they are SOLID). The fuel pump is dead, so that will get sourced, along with the consumables, such as the impeller, and ill do a drive service as well as checking the shift cable. My manuals should be here next week, so I need to see what specialty tools I need to hunt down.

Does anyone have specs or a source for an alignment tool, or is it by some miracle the same as the Mercruiser one...... (yeah, and monkeys may fly out of my butt....)

ScottinAZ

It's the same tool for OMC Cobra, Merc and Volvo SX
you just made my day...... I already have one for the Merc drive on the other boat...... one less thing I need to duplicate.

Do you by chance know the shift cable adjustment procedure for the Cobra SX IIRC its different animal than the earlier piece....

I wasnt totally enamoured with getting a "Cobra" drive, but being as the rest of the boat is in GREAT shape for its age, how bad could it be.... at least its the later one, I hear they are more desirable. (not that anything is wrong with a well maintained early one, but at the age these now are, who knows the history anymore)

I AM however looking forward to the impeller job on this boat.... engine mounted is gonna be a breeze compared to dropping the lower leg... I always hated that job, on both my Evinrude Outboards, and the Mercruiser....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
yep it is totally different, it is a Volvo so you have to do it the Volvo way.
just remember your Cobra is really a Volvo
just paint it silver I won't tell anyone lol.

ScottinAZ

yep it is totally different, it is a Volvo so you have to do it the Volvo way.
just remember your Cobra is really a Volvo
just paint it silver I won't tell anyone lol.

Its my drive, Ill paint it any color I want :D and it can use a touchup

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Charcoal grey = OMC
Silver = Volvo
when you sell the boat guess which one people will want lol.

ScottinAZ

Charcoal grey = OMC
Silver = Volvo
when you sell the boat guess which one people will want lol.

given what folks post on Craigslist, I could paint it black, and nobody would be the wiser..... :D its that "rare" Pre-Alpha drive that they collaborated with OMC on..... :D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Lol
Yeah it all depends on the customer
Think you’ll like the Four Winns. My old 200 Horizon (20’9”) handles the water great. Always felt safe in it.

ScottinAZ

Lol
Yeah it all depends on the customer
Think you’ll like the Four Winns. My old 200 Horizon (20’9”) handles the water great. Always felt safe in it.
It’s already been “nice” checking out the documentation on it. This is the first boat we have had where the manufacturer isn’t out of business, and info unobtainable