early 80s model johnson evinrude, 35hp, part inquiry

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hi everyone, looking for the name of a part here, i have an older, early 80s johnson evinrude, 35hp, and i need to know what the part is called, it's to do with the electric choke, it's the small barrel shaped cylinder, it has a piston coming out of it (i think it's a piston), mine is fried, i think the electrical wiring surrounding it, fried it, but i wanna know the name of the part, and how much i'm looking at to replace it, i can install is myself, thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: early 80s model johnson evinrude, 35hp, part inquiry

Howdy, NS.<br /><br />Sounds to me like you are describing the choke solenoid.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply, i'm sure it's the solenoid that's toast, it's fried, the top side where the piston moves in and out is melted and curled, doesn't look good, the wiring and mechanism and bracing is still in tact, i just need to replace the actual solenoid, any ideas on pricing for this? thanks again

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just went and grabbed the model number, any ideas on the cost to replace the solenoid? new, used? thanks<br /><br /># - J35ELCSM<br /><br />thanks

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can someone tell me the year of my engine too? thanks<br /><br />model - J35ELCSM

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just an update, looked around the solenoid, found it locally for 100$, said thanks, but no thanks, found it in vancouver for 30$, grabbed that one, put it in, and it fires perfectly now, so quite happy, touched up the boat a little, tightened the transom, attachment bolts, made some adjustments in general, boat runs great, gonna take it out tomorrow, thanks for your help whoever